A Conversation for Great Zoos and Wildlife Parks

San Diego

Post 1

Ste

San Diego Zoo, or calling it by it's official name "The World Famous San Diego Zoo" is really one of the best in the world. It's enclosures are large (apart from some big cats) and the animals are well-looked after. The Panda breeding programme is a success, with the newest baby Panda just about to leave to go to China. There are guided bus tours which are great. A must-see is the Gorilla and Orangutan enclosures, where you can get very close up (through reinforced glass!) and actually interact with them.

San Diego Wild Animal Park (a part of the zoo) is just north of the city near Escondido. It aims to simulate an African wilderness, something it pulls of with breathtaking beauty. The place is *huge* and a commentated train-ride encircles the whole park where you can get a good view of all the animals. The ride takes over 45 minutes! They keep the tigers and the lions separate from the other animals rather boringly.

The Californian Condor breeding programme at the wild animal park is very successful and world famous. I'm sure a lot of people have seen on TV where they are feeding the condor chicks with condor-shaped gloves on, so that they don't get used to humans.

I've been to the zoo about four times and the wild animal park three times. I haven't seen all of the zoo and just a small part of the park. Highly recommended.

A tip: Entry to get into the zoo/park is about $40, which is a little expensive (but well worth it for a whole day's fun). A year-long membership of the San Diego Zoological Society is only a little bit more. Get a membership and you can then go to the zoo and the park as many times as you want! Also you get free tickets for other people as part of the deal.

Oh, and avoid SeaWorld. The killer whale and dolphins (dolphin petting zoo!) are fun, but apart from that, it is just a theme park nowadays. One with no rides. Save your money (and time, the traffic and parking is *horrendous*) and go to the zoo.

smiley - cheers

Stesmiley - earthsmiley - football


Key: Complain about this post

San Diego

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more