A Conversation for Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, UK

Great article

Post 1

Excitable Bongo

What? Barrow-in-Furness most neglected!
Surley not.I was overjoyed to find that someone has bothered to write such an informative article on the town the inhabitants love to hate but do nothing about.
Sadly I left the town in 1971 and have never felt the need to return. That is until now after discovering they have singing park benches. Like the product designer I too have always been a big fan of park benches, especially the ones at Biggar Bank. So I am thinking of getting myself booked into the Hotel Imperial for a week in July.

A marvellous article but it's a shame the pie shops didn't get a mention though.


Great article

Post 2

Natalie

Wow! Have you used the singing park benches? What do they actually say?

I am not that familiar with Biggar Bank but I understand it has quite a reputation - perhaps you'd like to tell us more about it?


Great article

Post 3

Excitable Bongo

Yes you're quite correct. Biggar BAnk did have a bit of a reputation but I think that was in the late 80's when a lot of over-sexed teenagers used to cavort about up there. As I said, I left the town in 1971 so sadly I missed out on all that. It's a shame you are not familiar with the place.


Great article

Post 4

Natalie

Great name, Bongo!

Perhaps that explains why I am not familiar with the place then! I don't remember any over-excitable teenagers at all, but I was too busy watching 'The Tube,' possibly.


Great article

Post 5

Excitable Bongo

Natalie you must have been very busty to not reply to this for 6 days!

From your reply I take it you spent most of your Friday evenings in 1987 watching the Tube. Such a shame as I beleive Biggar Bank was rife with youngsters after a bit of the other.


Great article

Post 6

Natalie

Bongo I think the word you are looking for is 'busy.'

You're spot on - Friday evening was always Tube night for me in 1987. How about you?


Great article

Post 7

Excitable Bongo

I was probably camping while you were watching The Tube.


Great article

Post 8

Natalie

Camping? Alone? On a Friday evening?


Great article

Post 9

Excitable Bongo

No I wont have been alone. I'll have had my guard dog with me. Hanging about in tents can be a dangerous place for a young girl as I once discovered, and as my best mate was nowhere to be seen I was glad of the protection it gave me. Perhaps she was busy watching The Tube also?


Great article

Post 10

bluenwhite

If an article is allegedly researched properly the people of Barrow are proud but not insular as the author suggests.

Whilst Mike Harding made reference to the longest cul-de-sac in Britain, I am certain he did not realise the lasting effect that would have on peoples opinion of Barrow. The A590 is a pain, yes of course it is, but throughout all my worldly travels, I have come home to Barrow in Furness, Lancashire (the county is on my birth certificate), where I now live.

I am proud of the heritage of my town and the skills they and their forefathers had. Barrow's contribution to the war effort stands as testament to the freedom we all enjoy. The very first submarine (Holland class) was built at Barrow, as many skimmers were built too. These amongst other ships contributed to the freedom against the tyranny of would be world leaders, such as Adolf Schicklgruber.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more