A Conversation for Terry Gilliam - Writer, Animator and Director

Don Quixote and the Brothers Grimm

Post 1

the autist formerly known as flinch

About three years ago Terry failed spectactularly to make a movie "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote(sp?)" - a similar tale to Mark Twain / Bing Crosby's "Conneticut Yankee in the Court of King Arthur" - but instead of being transported back to Arthurian ledged, a contemporary man (in this case Johnny Depp) is transported into Cervantes' great novel.

The production suffered Fire (from MIG fighters) on the first day, Flood (a sudden and torrential deluge washed away equipment and sets) on the second, and on the third day of production Plague struck the principal actor (Jean Rochfort) and shooting ended before the caterers had a chance to go on strike.

The whole experience is caught on celuloid in the film "Lost in La Mancha" by Luis Pepe and Rob Fulton. And brilliant movie, which makes you want to see Gilliam's finished film all the more.

He's now making "The Brothers Grimm" with Miramax at Barrandov Studios in Prague. Should be out for christmas.


Don Quixote and the Brothers Grimm

Post 2

SchrEck Inc.

A1090469


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Terry Gilliam - Writer, Animator and Director

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more