A Conversation for Candida Control

As much as I find this to be almost common sense, I must ask, does it suffer under the rubric of 'alternative' medicine?

Post 1

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

I mean, much of this seems familiar and reminds me of things I have been saying to my wife for years and some things she has been attempting, but is there a, um, solid basis for the benefits of this
treatment...and are there any contraindications for people who have known medical conditions?

I went to the site referenced and was overwhelmed by the number of testimonial links and links involving books for sale.

Just the little skeptic in me piping up...

Good Job!


As much as I find this to be almost common sense, I must ask, does it suffer under the rubric of 'alternative' medicine?

Post 2

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

I too wish to know whether this is real or just quackery. Dr Wilson who championed this idea seems to have been pilloried in parts of the press and online (I've got a link somewhere but I can't find it). Also, Dr Atkins puts forward this theory in his book though, uncharacteristically, completely without a list of references.

What the truth? Enquiring minds want to know.


As much as I find this to be almost common sense, I must ask, does it suffer under the rubric of 'alternative' medicine?

Post 3

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

I found the link smiley - smiley. http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candida.html


As much as I find this to be almost common sense, I must ask, does it suffer under the rubric of 'alternative' medicine?

Post 4

amdsweb

Personally, I find this to be a big load of bunkum. Especially the bits about homeopathy. Sorry.


As much as I find this to be almost common sense, I must ask, does it suffer under the rubric of 'alternative' medicine?

Post 5

amusedO

I think the article is interesting and shows a real commitment to understanding how to combat a very common infection. Most people with it don’t really know they have it unless they have vaginal thrush and even then the symptoms can be so light it could be missed.

People with low immune systems through stress, exhaustion, overworked etc can find their bodies being attacked by this infection with nasty consequences. It becomes a real battle to try and control the infection then.

Certainly homeopathy can work and although there is something in medical evidence to support this, it has largely been ignored by the medical profession, although some General Practitioners now realise there is something to be said for taking more natural forms of controlling illnesses that they have enlarged their practices to incorporate some form of homeopathy inside their surgeries, or at least offer the services of the same. The evidence is easy to find for supporting homeopathy.

It is down to the user and their medical advisor on how best to treat it, it also helps give back control to the sufferer as after taking a course of prescribed medicine from their G.P. they may be left with side-effects which homeopathy can make easier, as well as helping the immune system.


As much as I find this to be almost common sense, I must ask, does it suffer under the rubric of 'alternative' medicine?

Post 6

amdsweb

There is _nothing_ in medical evidence to prove this.
Show me a properly conducted randomised control trial that shows that homeopathy works and I will eat my hat!

There is a one million dollar prize available from a sceptic in America for anyone who can do just this. The money has been unclaimed for years.


As much as I find this to be almost common sense, I must ask, does it suffer under the rubric of 'alternative' medicine?

Post 7

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

On the other hand, a homeopath is much less likely to kill you with a misprescribed medication that underwent clinical trials that only proved that while the doctors, chemists and scientists are not sure why it really works, or why it works in only 30% of the population whose ancestors were allergic to fermented yak milk drunk under the quarter moon, the drug reps are trumpeting it as the most wonderfully curative thing since day-old sliced bread, if you ignore the contraindication side-effects sheet.

smiley - biggrin


'alternative' medicine

Post 8

amusedO

I hate when children paraphrase because it shows a real lack of thought on their behalf, if not taught to open one’s mind will make for ‘tunnel’ vision in adulthood.

‘Alternative’ medicine is now offered in some surgeries as much as by prescription or recommended by GP, as well as available at chemists etc.

Echinacea. Garlic. Fish oils. The good old onion. St John’s Wort/ Generic Name: hypericum perforatum. Olive oil – all have been proven to work and work well.

Some of the above have their synthetic counterparts and some also have side-effects, as no matter if something is ‘natural’ or ‘synthetic’ human allergies have risen in the last few decades and anything can set of an allergic reaction.

One thing I do appreciate is something like penicillin, which is fast coming to its end of usefulness in regards to the variants found in infections which have undermined the drug’s capability however research is under way to combat this.

Unfortunately something like penicillin was made far too easily available by doctors for incidental infections until around mid 80’s which didn’t help, nor the numerous patients who stopped taking the medication once they felt well instead of finishing the course – all of which helped bacteria develop a resistance to penicillin’s anti-biotic properties earlier than necessary.

Of course boiled salt water is a great way to cleanse and combat simple exterior infection – a simple solution to cuts and crazes and better, in many cases, than plasters.

This is a useful site I have come across for those interested in learning more about medicines as a whole, including alternatives. http://www.rxlist.com/


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more