A Conversation for The Origin of Terry Pratchett's Discworld

Nevinyrral

Post 1

Nbcdnzr, the dragon was slain, and there was much rejoicing

If you turn Larry Niven's name you get the word Nevinyrral. This was used in the game of Magic: The Gathering. The card is called Nevinnyral's disk, it destroys almost all cards in play. It's a clear reflection of the creator's (Richard Garfield) interest in fantasy literature.


Nevinyrral

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

The disk you are talking about here is not the disk from Stata. Nor is it Pratchett's discworld. It is a small disk about 6 inches in diameter that was the central feature of a short story and a novella by Larry Niven. The novella was called "The Magic Goes Away". I can't remember the name of the short story. Niven theorised that magic is a finite resource which belongs to the environment rather than the magic user. It can be used up. A magician produced a small disk which he hung in the air. He then set a spell on it to spin and accelerate indefinitely. As the disk got faster and faster it used up the magic in the area around it, rendering all local magicians powerless.


Nevinyrral

Post 3

Nbcdnzr, the dragon was slain, and there was much rejoicing

Cool, I didn't know that. It sure makes sence with the ability it has in the game. It also checks out with the artwork on the card.
Thanks.

smiley - smiley


Nevinyrral

Post 4

BeowulfShaffer

The short story is "Not long before the end" and there are quite a few other works set in the same fictional universe though warlock's disk(the magic sucking disk) dosen't figure as much into most of them.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more