A Conversation for Latin Pronunciation - A Beginner's Guide

V and W

Post 1

John West

I remember moving schools, and on my first day at the new school being asked to read some Latin prose. The class fell about laughing as I had been trained to pronounce V as W. My new schoolmates had never been exposed to this and thought I was winding up the Latin Master - I gained much kudos for this and henceforth everyone changed to this "newspeak".
John


V and W

Post 2

manolan


This one had more or less gone out of fashion amongst all my contemporaries in the late 70s, early 80s. Many friends, no matter which school, learnt to use a 'v' sound and only one of the masters at my school would occasionally revert to a 'w' when reciting poetry.

Worth pointing out that church latin is considerably different. A striking example is 'caelis', which is 'kighliece' (k - igh as in high - iece as in niece) in classical pronunciation and 'chayliss' in chruch latin.


V and W

Post 3

tom

I think what finally put the end to the use of W as V was Sellars and Yeatman in 1066 and all that (or it's successor "And now all this") where they pointed out that the Romans left Britain because someone taught them this pronunciation and instead of Caesar's words being Veni, Vidi, Vici the Britons realised that the Romans were really Weany, Weady and Weaky. They fell about laughing and the Romans left in shame.

While the historical detail of this may not be absolutely accurate there was enough truth in it to make all the Latin masters realise how silly the new pronunciation was and it vanished like snow off a dyke.


V and W

Post 4

Dan

And, of course, there's Veni, Vidi, Vici - Using the Life Of Brian like 'Wayny, Weedy, Weeky' instead of the more common, and slightly tougher sounding, 'Venny, Veedy, Veechy'.


V and W

Post 5

Dan

Ahh. Tom got there first. Oh well.


V and W

Post 6

tom

VoV !!!!

Thanks Dan. It's the first time I have ever been anywhere NEAR first in anything to do with latin in over 40 years smiley - winkeye


V and W

Post 7

Researcher 170889

Church or 'Vulgar' Latin follows Italian pronunciation and more or less marks a stop on the change from classical Latin into modern Italian. This includes using a 'ch' sound for the 'c' as an earlier commentor mentioned, when it precedes 'i', 'e', 'ae' or 'oe'; and the English 'v' sound for 'v' instead of 'w' and a soft 'g' when a g precedes an 'e' or 'i'. Thus your use of the 'v' is merely the movement from the classical to the vulgar pronunciation. And vulgarity usually sets schoolboys or regular TV viewers to laughing. Although I do not know how they know for sure which pronunciation the Romans actually used in Classical times. They could be pretty vulgar fellows when they rolled up their sleeves and got down to it.


V and W

Post 8

Whoami - iD dislikes punctuation

However it happens, the info given in the Entry is accurate - but fascinating to hear everyone's thoughts and facts! Have some smiley - cake...


O and A and A and O

Post 9

Whoami - iD dislikes punctuation

However it happens, the info given in the Entry is accurate - but fascinating to hear everyone's thoughts and facts! Have some smiley - cake...


O and A and A and O

Post 10

tom

mumble mumble gulp Thanks (good thing there isn't a smiley). Have some smiley - oj

Alas the only thing I use my Latin (and a very small smatter of Greek) for nowadays is the pronunciation of plant or animal names.

Mind you the basics of grammar were better taught in Latin than in the English class but I suspect that is true of almost any language.


O and A and A and O

Post 11

Whoami - iD dislikes punctuation

France is keen on teaching French grammar as a matter of curriculum - but not latin!


O and A and A and O

Post 12

Spelugx the Beige, Wizard, Perl, Thaumatologically Challenged

Thanks for backing me up Whoami? and thanks for subbing the entry smiley - cheers.

The article is correct as this is the pronounciation I use every week.

Just to keep you informed, I'm planning on writing some more Latin-related entrys and I *might* turn them into a university project.

:x -- smiley - smiley


cum cantibus in choro... (or something like that, anyway)

Post 13

Whoami - iD dislikes punctuation

If you do decide to make a Uni Project, then you might like to hold off and not submit them to Peer Review, but instead hold them back for the Uni. If you do write a Uni Project, I'd be more than happy to be the project Sub-Editor. Congrats on an excellent entry, have some more smiley - cake...

Whoami? smiley - cake


cum cantibus in choro... (or something like that, anyway)

Post 14

Spelugx the Beige, Wizard, Perl, Thaumatologically Challenged

Yes, I was planning on not submitting them to PR, but I thought that I'd better 'test the water' first to make sure people like latin! Thanks for the offer to be the sub for the project but it probably won't materialise for a long time yet. I should have more time at the end of term though, so I'll see.

:x -- smiley - smiley


cum cantibus in choro... (or something like that, anyway)

Post 15

Whoami - iD dislikes punctuation

Problem with end of term for me is that I have more time, less internet connection (56k not ADSL-equivalent)...


cum cantibus in choro... (or something like that, anyway)

Post 16

Spelugx the Beige, Wizard, Perl, Thaumatologically Challenged

Count yourself lucky having ADSL at all. I use 64k ISDN all the time from home.

:x -- slighty smiley - geek


cum cantibus in choro... (or something like that, anyway)

Post 17

Whoami - iD dislikes punctuation

it's actually a T1 shared LAN connection - bliss when no-one else is using it smiley - doh


V and W

Post 18

TDMWibble

Our Latin teacher always had us use 'w' instead of 'v'. She said that it was more 'elevated'. So, we had "salwete Magistra" and "walete Magistra" at the beginning and end of class. It actually reminds me of Pontius Pilate's speech impediments in the "Life of Brian" (which incidentally are also funny in German - "Wirft ihn auf ten Poten!").

While talking to an Italian bloke the other week, I brought the subject up and he said that he'd never heard of the use of 'w' instead of 'v' and that they all spoke "church Latin" there. As you've noted, it's difficult to tell how they spoke in classical times so it's just one of these conundrums that have been left behind to provide an agreeable diversion for linguists.


V and W

Post 19

Whoami - iD dislikes punctuation

My Latin Teacher, one Mrs M, did the same. smiley - biggrinsmiley - cake


V and W

Post 20

Researcher 188007

I don't believe this is a matter of conjecture. I'm sure there is evidence from Latin poetry about the [w] pronunciation. I imagine that the working classes started using [v] instead ([w] is an inherently unstable sound), since all modern Romance languages pronounce 'v' as [v] (OK, except Spanish).

In addition to Church Latin, there is the standard English pronunciation of Latin words, where soft 'c' is pronounced [s] and the vowels are as in English. This is now losing ground to a more 'European' style of pronunciation, with e.g. 'nisi' in 'decree nisi' pronounced as 'neesee'. Anyway, it was a great article. I intend to write a couple myself one day.


Key: Complain about this post