A Conversation for An Amazing A-Z of Space

Staritng with an F

Post 1

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

There are lots of things in space starting with F. The most obvious one being a primal activity which is apparently even better out there in zero g than it is here on earth.

And of course it all started with a big bang which is just another euphemism for the F word.

smiley - silly
jwf

Oh and don't forget the Ferengi.
Or Flight.


Staritng with an F

Post 2

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Or Far. Because almost everything is far away.


Staritng with an F

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

Someone else suggested Fraunhofer lines. Better to keep it simple. Far would have been good, but I'd already done the "Space is Big" thing somewhere else.smiley - winkeye


Yeah, Lemmy!

Post 4

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Isn't that a line from an old Hawkwind song?


Staritng with an F

Post 5

Ema - formerly Researcher 185964

There's always 'Fusion', then you could get rid of that dodgy bit about the sun 'burning' hydrogen which is of course wrong.

A section on Fusion would explain why a large ball of hydrogen held together by gravity gives off heat and light and I think the main source of energy in the universe deserves a mention.


Staritng with an F

Post 6

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Con-Fusion-ist say, let there be Light.
And heat. smiley - cheers
~jwf~

PS: Say whaddya think of this new theory that the c1908 meteor strike/explosion over Siberia wasn't an asteroid or any kinda falling rock or ice, but was rather a spit of plasma from the sun. The explosion was like so many hydrogen bombs, the shock wave registered thousands of miles away, people across Europe saw it coming down, but no rock or other meteoric debris has ever been found.smiley - erm


Staritng with an F

Post 7

Iuchiban

Well, in any event, Tunguska doesn't start with an F, even in Cyrillic.

Due to magnetohydrodynamics, plasma from the sun (a flare, prominence, coronal mass ejection (CME), etc.) might play havoc with electronic devices by inducing currents when it approaches Earth, but the Earth's magnetosphere would prevent very much plasma from coming past the thermosphere. Rather, the plasma would encounter the magnetic field lines, and being charged, spiral down them out to behind the Earth. When there is a large magnetic storm due to plasma, we see the aurora, but in order to create a Tunguska fireball we would have to see significantly more matter coming off the Sun than visible even in the large coronal mass ejections, and it would have to be very concentrated in a small area.

Furthermore, if it was due to plasma impacting the Earth, geologists and physicists should be able to detect the "permanent" effects of ionised particles traveling through the Earth there, such as remnant magnetism greater than that in the surrounding area, etc. The case for the comet impact, I think, is currently stronger.


Staritng with an F

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

Interesting smiley - smiley


Staritng with an F

Post 9

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Yes, and not before time smiley - winkeye I might have gone on in my blind and ignorant way for years spreading disinformation. In fact I had been working on a theory of multi-dimensional-cracks that would have explained crop circles as well... but now I know better. Well, I think I do anyways...

Welcome to h2g2 luchiban, if you are in fact new to us and not one of the old ones under a new name smiley - bigeyes.

smiley - peacedove
~jwf~


Yeah, Lemmy!

Post 10

Sillybear25

Quote: "Isn't that a line from an old Hawkwind song?"

Maybe, but the more obvious allusion is right in front of your nose: !!!!!THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY!!!!!


Yeah, Lemmy!

Post 11

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

I was being sarcastic!


Yeah, Lemmy!

Post 12

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

>> I was being sarcastic! <<

Of course you were m'dear, of course y'were. Not for one single moment would anyone think there actually was a group called Hawkwind.
smiley - winkeye
~jwf~


Yeah, Lemmy!

Post 13

Gnomon - time to move on

Nobody would be so stupid as to hawk into the wind, would they?


Yeah, Lemmy!

Post 14

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Which reminds me, how can you brake the wind?


Yeah, Lemmy!

Post 15

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Donovan sighed, "Ah but I may as well try to catch the wind."

But his greatest contribution to underachievement was:
See no van, hear no van, Do-no-van.

Go forth then and catch as much wind as you can. You never know when there may come a shortage.

smiley - biggrin
~jwf~ (in fear of being caught short in a crop circle)


Yeah, Lemmy!

Post 16

me01273

Quote "Which reminds me, how can you brake the wind?"

Using a wind breaker! Duh


Yeah, Lemmy!

Post 17

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

the pants or the upper garment?


Key: Complain about this post