Winter Spicy Tomato and Lentil Soup Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Winter Spicy Tomato and Lentil Soup

3 Conversations

An abstract illustration of a bowl of winter soup, a spoon and a tomato.

This is a warming soup that is ideal after a long winter's walk, when all thoughts turn to being curled up in front of a fire, and to losing the frost-nip on the end of the fingers and nose... It really hits the spot!

This recipe is warming and delicious. There have been some adjustments to make the soup recipe more rustic and spicy.

Serves 2-4 people depending on whether it is intended as a main course or starter.

Preparation time: 10 minutes.

Cooking time: 30 minutes.

Ingredients:

  • 2 × 14 oz (400g) tins of tomatoes (ideally, chopped).
  • 1 × 7 oz (200g) tin sweetcorn, drained. (optional)
  • 4 oz (100g) quick-cook dry red lentils.
  • 1 chopped onion.
  • 2 crushed or finely chopped cloves garlic.
  • 1 vegetable stock cube.
  • 1 pint (570ml) water.
  • 2 tbs1 (30ml) tomato purée.
  • 2 tbs (30ml) oil (any form of vegetable oil is suitable).
  • 1-2 tbs (15-30ml) chilli powder (adjust to taste). Curry or mustard powder can also be used if preferred.
  • Salt and pepper to taste.

Method

  1. Sweat2 the onions and garlic in the oil, adding the chilli powder when translucent. Continue cooking for one minute.

  2. Meanwhile boil the water and add the stock cube.

  3. Add to the onions, garlic and chilli, along with the other ingredients.

  4. Simmer for 30 minutes.

  5. Allow to cool and blend with a hand blender, preferably to a coarse consistency, but it can be blended to a cream if preferred.

  6. Re-heat and serve with a swirl of cream or butter and croutons on the top. Try it with warm, crusty, rustic, thick-cut bread wiped over with a raw clove of garlic. Delicious!

Lie back, snuggle up, and enjoy...

I double the ingredients and freeze it so I have it available after long winter walks in Kew Gardens. I just have to nuke it and 4 minutes later it is ready.
1Abbreviation for tablespoon.2Fry on a low heat until translucent.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A60769704

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more