A Conversation for St Augustine - Bishop of Hippo

a comment or two from the author...

Post 1

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

Ashley, might I point out that it would be impossible for Augustine to have "called" his mother (in the conventional, modern sense of telephoning her) since we are talking about the late 300's? Might not "called OUT" be better? Just a thought. Also, "nowhere" is one word, I do believe. Sorry, not trying to criticize YOU, but I'm very nervous about this, as it is my first edited entry all on my own, and I want it to be as perfect as it can be. Thanks ever so much.
-Montana


a comment or two from the author...

Post 2

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

Also, please note that Carthage was destroyed quite a bit ago, and no longer exists except as an archeological site...


a comment or two from the author...

Post 3

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

and the last one...I know, I know, I am such a pain!!
the last line, the word "beginnings" should be singular, yes? yes.


a comment or two from the author...

Post 4

Researcher 170889

Perhaps 'summoned' would be clearer than 'called' and would properly indicate the consummate arrogance of the self-centered little b*****d; I suspect he probably did call her, yapping for attention at the top of his lungs....


a comment or two from the author...

Post 5

Norton II

It's good but it's too brief. I think you need to give more detail about the Pelagian controversy, and also a fuller explanation of what "City of God" is about. It is, after all, one of the key texts of later antiquity.


a comment or two from the author...

Post 6

DJP (Keeper of small things - see A598647 for more details)

Not so.

I am not a Christian, and not a philosophy student. As such I read this article with interest. Having heard of StA over the years I decided that it was time I knew a bit more.

The key here is _A Bit_. If I wanted to know details I would be looking up StA on Google, not happening across this section in H2G2.

I like it.

As a first solo entry the author should be proud - and go on to write more (please).


a comment or two from the author...

Post 7

Sam

It's a well known fact that St Augustine invented the mobile (cellular) phone, hence the reason we left the word 'called' in the entry...

OK, OK I'll change it. smiley - winkeye And the other things you mention. Thanks for your input - much appreciated. smiley - smiley

Sam.


a comment or two from the author...

Post 8

DJP (Keeper of small things - see A598647 for more details)

Thanks for letting me know about StA inventiong the cellphone.

That explains why prayer is the only way to make the blessed thing work.

I had always assumed that Satan invented the mobile (or that girl Donna).

Either way, an atheist like me hasn't got a snowballs chance in a supernova of making it work reliably - roll on telepathy say I.


a comment or two from the author...

Post 9

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

Thank you all kindly for your comments. Norton, dear, it was meant to be a brief overview, but I thought that I would write other entries on the Donatists, Pelagians, and Berbers later, and maybe even one whole entry on City of God all by itself.


Key: Complain about this post