A Conversation for Radiohead - the Band

Anthems

Post 1

Greta_9, Keeper of the 4/4 Beat and Deep Sexy Basslines, in a strange condition

Let Down has to be one of my favourite songs of all time. I always sing it to myself when I'm depressed: it acknoledges the feeling, but states that "One day I am going to grow wings". Singing along to this song makes me feel better.

I was one of the people who were, in fact, let down by Kid A; well, positively betrayed is more like it, actually. Not that I don't like electronica tout court; it's just that prolonged exposure to really miserable music makes me ill. Up to OK Computer, Radiohead could sing about misery and make it sound beautiful, which, to happy/miserable people like me, was as good as it got. Then they started sounding paranoid, as well as singing about paranoia. A friend of mine says you should listen to this album with your head, and not through your stomach. I can't do that.

They used to be my favourite band, and I'd still take OK Computer to a desert island with me. But I feel betrayed...


Anthems

Post 2

Jed the Humanoid -Keeper of things lost down the back of the sofa-also the Chief Mad Drunken Warrior of the Anti Squirrel League

you make a good point..but i still beg to differ. I find Kid A to possess that same ability to sound depressing while ultimately being uplifting (the track motion picture soundtrack being an exception..because it tends to bring me close to tears). The problem with Kid A to me is the harder to define nature of the lyrics...they're often either to low in the mix or just too mumbled to get the true meaning...but then..i think that that allows you to get a better idea of the emotion being expressed purely by the music.. a much harder thing to do (although it does add the sort of ambiguity that allows it to feel more personal to the listener)..

ok..i sound like i'm just ranting at this point so I'll give you an example..towards the end of how to disappear completely there is a section that sounds like the tune is running out of energy and breaking apart into its own minute fragments of melody harmony and rhythm. The strings become discordant and out of synch etc etc...but then..just as everything seems lost...the most perfectly harmonious and rhythmically sound phrase of the whole song comes in...everything back (wanting to avoid the obvious but failing here) in its right place. That moment of that tune has been the soundtrack to several understated epiphany's in my life...as it seems symbolic of the songs protagnonist losing track completely and then regaining (or possibly just catching a glimpse of) what has been taken from him and what he truly strives for...then again..maybe i'm just reading to much into it

Anyhow..I feel like Kid A opened doors for me..Made me appreciate that there was so much musical space out there waiting for me to explore. This has (to an extent) led to my current obsession with the likes of Aphex Twin, Plaid, Squarepusher and Herbert (aka radioboy).

Two last things...
Firstly..i completely agree on the 'Let down' thing..I absolutely adore that song and it has picked me up as much as any other track that i own (i always use music to cheer me up..nothing else works as effectively...well..maybe somethings do...but music is a lot less hassle)
Secondly: "A friend of mine says you should listen to this album with your head, and not through your stomach. I can't do that." This phrase stood out to me...I say..if you can't listen with both..then you'll never appreciate music from all angles....your stomach gives you the feeling...but your head gives you the meaning..

To be honest...I'm begining to think I've ranted on for too long..thank you for your attention....and goodbye


Anthems

Post 3

Greta_9, Keeper of the 4/4 Beat and Deep Sexy Basslines, in a strange condition

I only listen to lyrics with my head... music is for my stomach. I have listened to Kid A lots of times, but I can't get into it. There is something about it that doesn't draw me in, it just shuts me out. None of the tearful glory on OK Computer, as far as I'm concerned. Still, kudos to Radiohead for commiting commercial suicide with a record that very few people can understand or get into (and I'm not one of them.)

This hasn't been a very good year to listen to Kid A, too much heartache that had to be healed, I needed uplifting music, and that's why I asked to be keeper of the 4/4 beat and deep sexy basslines smiley - smiley


Anthems

Post 4

Jed the Humanoid -Keeper of things lost down the back of the sofa-also the Chief Mad Drunken Warrior of the Anti Squirrel League

ah well..its time to agree to differ then...Kid A probably is an all or nothing affair...I was in love within hearing the first five notes

So what have you been listening to of late (i'm always on the hunt for new musical sources...cause otherwise i just carry on building up my collection with more things by artists i already know...as opposed to finding new sources of wonder)?


Anthems

Post 5

Greta_9, Keeper of the 4/4 Beat and Deep Sexy Basslines, in a strange condition

Not much, having been skint for ages and thus unable to buy anything... but since we are probably from different parts in Europe, I feel I have to recommend the best band in Italy, they're called Subsonica and any of their albums (especially the second, Microship Emozionale... my personal favourite) are absurdly good. They mix dun, pop, dance and reggae and they're absolutely wicked (and they put on a killer live show, I've seen them 8 times already...)

I've reverted to my punk-pop roots and I'm quite fond of The Strokes. My favourite song of the month, however, has to be "Come With You" by belgianband Millionaire. I quite like The Vines too. My current skeleton in the closet is emo-core... Bowling for Soup, New Found Glory... I suppose part of me is trying to feel 15 again!



Key: Complain about this post