A Conversation for How to Get a Good Night's Sleep

Snoring & Shiftworking

Post 1

Kandyman - Keeper of Old Buses

Snoring:-

Make sure you find a partner who doesn't snore. There is nothing in the world which is more effective for keeping you awake - no matter how tired you are!

Shiftworking:- (HELP!)

How can you teach your body that it's sleepytime when one week you have to get up at 4 a.m. and therefore have to go to bed about 8 p.m. and the next week you don't get home until 1 a.m. (For the first couple of days of each early shift I go about like a zombie with a migraine)


Snoring & Shiftworking

Post 2

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

Snoring: Go and see the doctor. He/she will probably prescribe some Flixonase nasal spray (as he did in my case), which conditions the nasal passages and stops congestion. Result, no snoring and a good night's sleep. Failing that, don't drink less than 4 hours before bedtime, and lose weight.


Snoring & Shiftworking

Post 3

Bismark71

Amen to that, Kandyman (I've probably passed you in the streets of Edinburgh at 4am wondering what the hell is going on).

I also work shifts (and I also snore). Yesterday after work, I could not physically keep myself awake any longer, so went to bed at 3pm. I awoke at 9pm, and have been awake since (despite an hour in bed around midnight). I now have to do a full 12 hour shift...

If anyone has any ideas on how to get a decent sleep every night when you work shifts, then I'm desperate.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more