A Conversation for How to Get a Good Night's Sleep

Tips from a Professional

Post 1

FG

I say that because I can sleep 10-12 hours a night without a problem. Usually I like to get a good eight hours. Ideally for me it's dark, quiet, and the window is open to let in plenty of night air--I hate sleeping in a stuffy room. To begin with, no eating after 8pm (or within a few hours of your desired bedtime)--your body will keep you up while it digests stuff. Obviously no caffeine before bed. Invest in a good mattress/box spring/futon and good quality blankets/comforter/sheets--your comfort is of the utmost importance. Finally, a valuable tip. Only go to bed when you are actually tired. Laying between the sheets just because you think you should be in bed by a certain hour does not work. Keep yourself busy elsewhere and do not go to bed until you are sleepy. Otherwise you will staring at the ceiling or the bedside clock for hours...


Tips from a Professional

Post 2

Researcher 170889

I agree about the window - or an equivalent - to keep cool. it is lots easier to sleep in a cool to cold room under a warm blanket, than in a cool room. Here in Texas, the open window would be counter-productive - it is liable to be 80 or higher at night - that's Fahrenheit and equals too hot in Celsius. So it is lots of A/C. But I find a cool room to be THE most important element (getting up is a whole other problem!)


Tips from a Professional

Post 3

FG

No problems with hot nights here--I live in Montana. I think air conditioning here is stupid. It's a waste of resources because it is not needed. We only have a few days where it gets over 85 during the day--and it almost never gets above 60 degrees at night. Good sleeping weather, in my humble opinion.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more