A Conversation for The Word 'Y'all'

Y'all Triumphant

Post 1

The one with six (6) cats

Has no one noticed "y'all" in hip-hop (coming from urban black dialect, which also has Southern roots)? Also, I've noticed that people who move to the South from other regions, and even non-native English speakers often seem to acquire "y'all" even if no other regionalisms creep into their speech. There's a reason for it, I think: "Y'all" is useful; it supplies the glaring lack of a plural second-person pronoun in English (ever since "you" walked all over both "thou" and "thee"). So considering the acceptance of "y'all" in the South (in all but the most formal speech), the frequency with which young people now hear it in the context of hip-hop and rap, and its usefulness, I predict that "y'all" will become standard usage before the century is out.

To me, this is a good thing, but y'all may not agree.


Y'all Triumphant

Post 2

NightShade

Actually, the word "y'all" IS well used already. In almost every school in America you will find that all but the most grammatically correct students will use the word. It is too useful (and easy to say) to pass up.
The current generation, as it is now using it, will spread it even further when they go to college, work, etc. and spread it all over the country all over again.
I would be fairly willing to bet the word "y'all" will be common usage in the Entire United States in less than a generation, and will, eventually spread to all truly fluent speakers of English, except, of course, the British, who look down on anything good that comes out of their "daughter-country." (Sorry, Brits. You know it's true, especially when it comes to language.)


Y'all Triumphant

Post 3

Ya'know- that one guy!

Y'all is frequently used in schools throughout America, but not as frequently as you seem to think. I myself use it, but most of my friends don't. (Obviously, I don't live in the South.)
I do hear it used, just often enough that nobody gives you a blank look- ya'know, one of those "what the heck is that supposed to mean?" looks. It is uncommon enough that people notice when you say it, though.


Y'all Triumphant

Post 4

NightShade

I suppose it would depend on where you live. Out here (UT), we here it used all the time. I think it also depends on the type of community you live in. It would probably be used in Suburban and Rural areas before it is used in the Urban areas.


Y'all Triumphant

Post 5

Robinton

I also live in Utah, and I don't hear it used all the time. I don't know what part of Utah you're from, but where I live, I say y'all and people look at me funny. There are a few exceptions, such as my family and friends, but most people look at me funny. My family doesn't because we all talk like that sometimes. (We have cousins from the South.) My friends don't because they are used to hearing me say that.


Y'all Triumphant

Post 6

Mullet

"except, of course, the British, who look down on anything good that comes out of their "daughter-country""

Oh please, the reason most of hate the yanks is becuase you seem to have these ridiculous ideas about us. Like the idea that we all talk RP. I've grown up on a diet of hamburgers and Hollywood. Everyone I know seems to use that most irritating of American linguistic exports, the extraneous "Like". And as for us all speaking RP, have you never seen a "Townie"(well that's what all my mates call them. The people who can't speak decent english and wear reebok track-trousers). Admittedly most of the people I know speak a fair approximation of RP. But not exactly. And why I use ridiculoudly stuffy words like "Indeed" that's only because it distinguishes me more from the townies, sounds cool and annoys my parents.


Y'all Triumphant

Post 7

Mullet

A852798
An explanation of RP


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more