A Conversation for 'Contact' - the Film

Opening Shot

Post 1

Casinopants

The countless amount of soundclips at the beginning of the film have no particular historical order to them nor is Adolf Hitler the last sound to be heard. The purpose for the 100+ tracks of sound effects during the everlasting zoom-out, was to show how many different sounds have been broadcast over the years. The opening shot was edited in a way where whenever you see it, you never hear the same order of sounds.


Opening Shot

Post 2

Xanatic

What do you mean? I don´t see how that should be possible. At least not on the video that I have. But I suppose I should rent the DVD just to get the extra stuff.

I also read the book, I must say they are quite different those two. But they should have had the pi thing in the movie. I do suppose it was implied in the transport system that had been built by unknown creatures.


Opening Shot

Post 3

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I read the book toosmiley - sadface


Opening Shot

Post 4

Xanatic

Is that a bad thing? What didn´t you like about it?

I must say though, I prefered the Palmer Joss from the movie to the one in the book. The one in the movie, it seems more credible why a scientists like her would like him.


Opening Shot

Post 5

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

There was nothing I recognized from the film, in the book.
Right from the start, when Ellie's dad was bringing her up 'cos Ellie's mum had died in childbirth?
Yet, in the book, Ellie's mum is still alive when Ellie is middle aged & she finds out her dad was not her father but her step-father was?
I still don't understand why all that was there.
There was no Kent Clark in the book. Yet he was a prominent part of the film.
And Ellie's affair, in the book, it was never explained what went wrong there.
Two entirely different stories...I was persuaded to read the book by Jim Lynn, he thought I would enjoy it.
Unfortunatley, I didn't.


Opening Shot

Post 6

Xanatic

Yeah, they were quite different. Which is weird when you consider that the book came out of an attempt to make a movie script.

I didn´t like the whole mother thing, I preferred the thing in the movie. Probably because that is the kind of childhood I´d like to have. Untill the point where the father died of course.


Opening Shot

Post 7

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

You'd like to have another childhood?
When?smiley - smiley


Opening Shot

Post 8

Xanatic

I don´t know, my next life maybe smiley - smiley Well, I´d certainly change pretty much my entire life if I could.


Opening Shot

Post 9

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

In your next life you'll have a wholly different life.
If you believe that kind of thing.smiley - winkeye


Opening Shot

Post 10

Completely_Mad

The opening shot was great I thought. Starting with current radio transmissions while in orbit, going back in time as the distance grew from Earth. Finishing with some lonely sounding morse code, white noise and stellar radio waves. That sequence was without a doubt awesome. It shows quite well how little space we've put our stamp in. Barely 100 light years radius is tiny indeed. Which means, unless E.T has relay stations within range and sensitivity of Earth, it will be a long time before they know we are here. By the same token, it will be a long time before we know they are there.
Overall, loved the film. In the DVD extras, they made mention of the fact, there was alot of juggling and reworking of the story to make it work as a screenplay. Understandable owing to the very different mediums.


Opening Shot

Post 11

Xanatic

I loved the way it all went silent when you were sitting in the cinema. It's not often things just go silent in there, so it was rather odd. But just gave a sort of sense of awe.


Opening Shot

Post 12

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

There's a DVD out, with extras?

smiley - grr

*counts pennies in purse*


Opening Shot

Post 13

Xanatic

It's been out a few years, you'll probably be able to get it for 10€.


Key: Complain about this post