A Conversation for Ill-Fitting Bras - A Medical Perspective

Photo

Post 1

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

I'm sorry but I don't like the photo attached to this article. It looks as if the subject is being unaware that she is being photographed - please tell me that I am being sensitive?


Photo

Post 2

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

No, you're not, Lanza. You've articulated very eloquently the thoughts I had when I saw this photo. I thought, 'Why might that particular bra be ill-fitting smiley - erm. It looks smiley - ok to me '.

On a wider issue, I just can't understand this fetish for wearing bras in the first place, due to:

* From many reports (including Charlie Dimmock), they're smiley - bleeping uncomfortable anyway.
*Evidence of the association with breast cancer due to restriction of fluid flow in lymph glands.
* I recently read a report that there was no evidence to show that bra-wearing reduces breast droop in later life. (Hence, why does it matter that they-re iull-fitting anyway, except for the fact that they'll be even more uncomfortable)
*The severe dangers accrued to partners (usually men) in attemting to remove the offensive garments; namely forced ulnar obduction rotatory injury of the proximal interphalangeal joint: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-114927/Warning-Bras-seriously-damage-mans-health.html

The only redeeming features of them is thir attractiveness, i.e I concede that pastel-coloured thin bra straps visible under a skimpy tee-shirt is a bit of a turn-on.

smiley - 2centssmiley - winkeye


Photo

Post 3

Malabarista - now with added pony

I find it uncomfortable *not* to wear them. After a certain cup size, they're not optional for most activities that require actual moving around smiley - winkeye


Photo

Post 4

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

Same! The problems associated with bras are nearly always to do with bad fit or badly-made bras.

A good, comfortable bra can be a pleasure to wear, especially after wearing the wrong one for a while as i and plenty of my friends have done. I was wearing a C because that's what I was as a teenager when i should have been wearing several sizes bigger and I was forever uncomfortable and irritated. One fitting later and I was happy and comfortable and I never buy a bra without trying it on because i refuse to do myself a disservice.

I dont wear uncomfortable shoes, either.


Photo

Post 5

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I'm afraid I agree about the photograph. The more I look at it, the more disturbing I find it.

This is no reflection on the entry, which is a fine piece of work.


Photo

Post 6

Malabarista - now with added pony

Since it's a BBC stock photo, I'm assuming they have her permission. smiley - erm


Photo

Post 7

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I'm sure of that, but representationally it's disturbing. At least to me.

I would have gone for a cartoon of a fully-dressed woman holding a ridiculous multicoloured contraption by her fingertips, and her nose with the other hand...


Photo

Post 8

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Thank you dmitri - I was really beginning to think I was over reacting. It would be better without that photo at all, to my thinking. A cartoon blob from Mala would have been the best thing, but this seemed to have whizzed from PR at great speed?


Photo

Post 9

Malabarista - now with added pony

Yes, it skipped the queue! (Probably because there's never much to subedit in Alex' offerings.)

I'm sure we'd have found a volunteer to illustrate it. This looks like one you could have fun with.


Photo

Post 10

Malabarista - now with added pony

A very special Gheorgheniplex, uploaded with Dmitri's permission... smiley - whistle

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/80_128/86_157/InterplanetaryMedicine.gif


Photo

Post 11

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

smiley - rofl Nice one Mala smiley - biggrin


Photo

Post 12

Malabarista - now with added pony

I didn't draw it. It's Dmitri's. smiley - ok I just have the fotki account.


Photo

Post 13

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Yes. Alex should know who to shoot.smiley - blush

Intended as a sincere tribute. Sincerely.smiley - grovel


Photo

Post 14

Malabarista - now with added pony

And it's brilliant! smiley - biggrin


Photo

Post 15

loonycat - run out of fizz

Very good entry smiley - applause

I'm one of those guilty/ shy of getting properly measured. smiley - blush


Photo

Post 16

AlexAshman


smiley - cheers all - I hadn't subscribed to this conversations forum, and I'd be amazed at the number of responses save for the subject matter smiley - whistle

smiley - applause for the cartoon smiley - laugh


Photo

Post 17

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

Loony, do it. honestly, you'll never look back. If you're in the UK then go to a department store (I favour the one who are never knowingly undersold... Better range to choose from and I find Deb's a bit snooty and not such good quality). Just ask for a fitting. If your bra is obviously too small, they will probably suggest a different bra to try on before you get measured.

I'm not a skinny thing and I thought I'd be more nervous but it's a bit like going to the doctors. They are very workmanlike, a bit clinical and matter of fact, which is reassuring in a weird way smiley - smiley.

You'll get measured, then they will suggest sizes and offer you a few in your chosen style to try on.

If it appears they have under-estimated, they will offer you more sizes. You will probably be offered a range anyway. Think of it like trying on shoes, there's not point in going for a shoe that's too short or too narrow (or gaping and loose) because it wont be comfy, so while it *is* time consuming, you will be happier for half an hour spent now. It will put an end to constantly fiddling with the band and the straps will slip less often and be more comfortable, too.

Once you've got one that fits, you wont go back, i promise you!


Photo

Post 18

AlexAshman


Oddly enough, one Researcher recently created this guide entry: A54364250


Photo

Post 19

Malabarista - now with added pony

Doesn't work smiley - huh


Photo

Post 20

AlexAshman


That's a shame. It consists of two very large smiley - titsmiley - tit


Key: Complain about this post