A Conversation for The Word 'Well'

Well, well, well...

Post 1

Ormondroyd

Great entry - well thought out and well written. Well done! smiley - ok
It occurs to me that "well" is one of the few words whose meaning can be completely changed by repeating it to form a phrase: "Well, well, well", meaning "Here's something remarkable".
Of course, here on h2g2, we have a handy smiley to convey this response: smiley - bigeyes.


Well, well, well...

Post 2

Sick Bob. (Most recent incarnation of the Dark Lord Cyclops. Still lord and master of the Anti Squirrel League and Keeper of c

Well...you know, kinda really, you know, well, it's like er... well, you know, well, kinda, what was I saying?

Story of my life.

Well?


Well, well, well...

Post 3

unremarkable: Lurker, OMFC, LPAS

yes, the question form of "well?" could be used in just as many forms i suppose, to demand explanation, or to say "shall we get on with it then?"


Well, well, well...

Post 4

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Well I think you've done well. A virtual wellth of information. The only thing I would add is a couple of biblical references - first there's Joseph who got robbed of his multicoloured coat and thrown down a well, and of course Jesus met a woman at the well, according to the old spiritual folksong anyway. Moses couldn't find a well in the desert so he whacked on a rock with his staff and, "Well now!", water poureth forth.

There are others but maybe we should leave well enuff alone.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more