A Conversation for Alexander Courage - Film Composer

A509320 - Alexander Courage

Post 1

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A509320

A composer. You've heard at least one and not more than, er, one of his works....


A509320 - Alexander Courage

Post 2

xyroth

So if he did all of this other stuff, what was it?


A509320 - Alexander Courage

Post 3

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

I can't tell you because (a) I can't edit entries any more and (b) if I try to post it here I get an empty posting window & the content won't post.


A509320 - Alexander Courage

Post 4

xyroth

that sounds like a bug in the software. go over to http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/Feedback and then to the bug section, and tell them what's wrong, and they should get back to you.


A509320 - Alexander Courage

Post 5

Barton

You should be able to get a nearly complete list of his music credits from the Internet Movie Database just by searching on his neame. Saves a lot of typing. Though I'm not sure that all of that is needed, even though it might be neat to have.

You've started out well, but he either deserves more or less. I would opt for more, myself.

All you have really said is that he's been around for a while and his most heard piece is that theme, which you still like. That the theme had a composer is obvious. That his name is Alexander Courage is something to file away in case I ever really need to know, such as appearing as a contestant on Jeopardy. (I'll take Star Trek themes for $1000, Alex. -- Trebek *is* the host on that show, right? smiley - smiley I'll take game show hosts for $5, Alex.)

I think it is great that you care enough for this man's work to do the research you've done. Now blow us away with the rest of it -- we're all pretty jaded; a list of nominations and awards won't finish the job, for me, at least.

Think abaout he will feel when he hears that he's rated an entry in h2g2 and then reads your little 5 incher. Well . . . maybe he won't care . . .nahhhh! He'll be ecstatic.

Barton


A509320 - Alexander Courage

Post 6

Sol

I really hate to say this, but have you ever noticed the breathtaking similarity of the opening of the Star Treck theme to that of one of Mahler's pieces? Mahrler's 1st Symphony? Played it, can't remember which piece exactly. Plagerism, pure and simple.


A509320 - Alexander Courage

Post 7

Barton

I'm sure Mahler's solicitor will be in touch with you shortly. But can he PROOVE he wrote it first?

smiley - smiley

Barton


A509320 - Alexander Courage

Post 8

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

It was a problem caused by the caching algorithms on my proxy server here at home. It's fixed now.


A509320 - Alexander Courage

Post 9

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Oh yes, a web search with "Mahler Star Trek plagiarism" brings up some results. Would be useful to mention that within the entry!


A509320 - Alexander Courage

Post 10

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

hmm, and perhaps sort the list of his works by title or date ...
other than that I'd say it's complete and ready to be picked.



Bossel (Scout)


A509320 - Alexander Courage

Post 11

unremarkable: Lurker, OMFC, LPAS

anal english remark: is films, not filoms...

great entry though, I liked it. had no idea that guys and dolls was connected to star trek...


A509320 - Alexander Courage

Post 12

Jimi X

Nice, though I found the list to be a bit overwhelming.

smiley - cheers

- X


A509320 - Alexander Courage

Post 13

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

I was applying the YAFITGI principle (you asked for it, you got it) in respect of an earlier comment smiley - smiley


A509320 - Alexander Courage

Post 14

Mr Prophet (General Purpose Genre Guru)

Just zis Guy, you know?: I was wondering if you would be interested in adding this entry to a University Project I'm working on, on film composers?

The Project index is at http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A579008

The Prophet.


A509320 - Alexander Courage

Post 15

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Sure, no problem


A509320 - Alexander Courage

Post 16

Mr Prophet (General Purpose Genre Guru)

OK then. I'll add the page reference to the Project index.

I think this means that the thread will have to come out of Peer Review, but Joanna will sub the entry along with the rest of them as soon as we find out exactly how that's arranged (it's my first UoL project and her first as sub-ed; you can tell, can't you). Then this entry will be an edited entry.

Thanks.

The Prophet.


A509320 - Alexander Courage

Post 17

Mr Prophet (General Purpose Genre Guru)

oh; if you want to look at the rest of the project, the index is at http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A579008

The Prophet


Thread Moved

Post 18

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review' to 'Alexander Courage, Composer (b. 1919)'.


Key: Complain about this post