A Conversation for Red Dwarf - The TV Series

Red Dwarf

Post 81

Paul the Brake

I was thinking of shows like 'Drop the Dead Donkey' but this one probably wouldn't work in the states as it's about the British news stations. 'Dressing for Breakfast' might go down well in the states though, with the girls anyway. smiley - winkeye


Red Dwarf

Post 82

Wolfman, Zaphodista :X (soon to be Zarquon again, or maybe not)

My PBS station carries a lot of Brittish shows. Mostly comedies like "Are You Being Served?", but it also carries that soap opera "Eastenders". I usually only watch the Dwarf though, but I like "'Allo, 'Allo" as well.


Red Dwarf

Post 83

Paul the Brake

Shows like Are You Being Served & Allo Allo are the worst of the british comedies in my opinion, do you get 'Bottom' & 'Absolutly Fabulous' as for East Enders it gets one of the highest ratings hear but I only watched it a couple of times.


Red Dwarf

Post 84

Wolfman, Zaphodista :X (soon to be Zarquon again, or maybe not)

Nope. Never heard of it.


Red Dwarf

Post 85

Paul the Brake

Other good British shows to look out for: Father Ted and The Fast Show
smiley - winkeyesmiley - smileysmiley - winkeyesmiley - bigeyes ;-0 smiley - smiley


Red Dwarf

Post 86

Fourmyle

Have seen Drop the Dead Donkey running in Canada ( I loved it ) and Absolutely Fabulous is great even if it only seems to get aired after 2 AM here. Tracking down Red Dwarf , Dr Who or either of the above shows is a real challenge when I'm at home though. Only get off air ( CBC affiliate and CTV , both owned by the same monopolist ) which tends to heavy American content ( one reason I shot my TV and went without for most of a decade ) . A slight asside , Terry Pratchett apparently was negotiating at one point to get Mort made into a movie in the States . The American producers were gung ho except he had to get rid of the DEATH character . Makes you wonder if they could read the longer words. Humour between the two countries does seem to go right past each other's respective populations. The first time I saw Monty Python and the holy Grail , I was in the Orson Wells Theater in Boston . I had a hard time sitting up as I was laughing so hard , the rest of the theater was all but silent ( and nearly empty ). Then again few of my British friends find any humour in Firesign Theater or the movie "Eat or be Eaten" . Having an American Red Dwarf would probably either fail or produce something all but totally unrelated. Americans seem best at slapstick as opposed to anything needing concentration, I expect it,s because it's hard to follow something thats being interupted every few minutes to sell feminine hygiene products , cars , etc. with the odd news flash about some new murder randomly editing the program ( but not the commercials ).


Red Dwarf

Post 87

Researcher 103505

Ah a state side fan eh? Are you a member of BTL?? Hmmm??? HMMM???
No, didn't think so.... what are you waiting for sign up with the official fan club you fools!
Fink


Red Dwarf

Post 88

Baldrick

That's Camille, which I think is far and away the best because it's a total pisstake of 'Casablanca'


Red Dwarf

Post 89

Alex

I'd just like to say red dwarf wasn't written by Rob Grant and Doug Naylor! They are the same bloke. He wrote his books under the name Grant Naylor!


Red Dwarf

Post 90

Baldrick

According to the inside covers of the novels, Grant Naylor is a gestalt entity occupying two bodies living in two different places. However, I always thought a gestalt entity was an amalgamation of various people plus the entity's own consciousness in just your one body.


Red Dwarf

Post 91

§hadow

I would just like to add in my own "two cents". There was in fact an American pilot, I have it. Terry Ferrel who played Jadzia Dax on Deep Space 9 was in fact The Cat. While she didn't have the same characteristics of Danny John Jules, rest assured she was the only redeeming part of the entire bit. The way she filled out her version of the cat suit was extremely enticing to say the least, she definitely didn't dress or act like Danny! Whooo! ::Pauses to mop his brow and wipe the drool from his chin:: At any rate, just thought i'd clear that bit up.


Red Dwarf

Post 92

Paul the Brake

You don't really belive that do you, they used smeg head cause of the connection to smegma, It is the inuendo that makes it funny. as for dening the connection I have herd them comfirm it in an interview


Key: Complain about this post