A Conversation for The Cult - the Band

The Cult circa 1986

Post 1

The Traveller




The Cult were the first band I ever went to see in about January 1987 at the Playhouse in Edinburgh.They were very good and managed
to play a good gig.I think the support band were called Gay Bikers On
Acid (remember them!)they were rubbish though.
I think the best part of the concert was when they played "She Sells Sanctuary" the guitar sound on that song is amazing.
However I agree that The Cult blew it.They had quite a unique sound and there are some very good songs on their first album "Love".
I think they should have further developed their own sound ,their
own style.One of my favourite songs(I think it was called)"Brother Wolf and Sister Moon" was simply haunting.
I think if The Cult had carried on writing songs like these two they would have done quite well.
"Electric" the follow up album I felt sounded too much like bands that had gone before "Led Zepellin" for instance.In fact a review in
the music papers at the time said they had "plundered the Led Zepellin song book ".I in some ways lost interest in the band at this time as they were too heavy rock and also sounded the same as loads of other heavy rock /heavy metal cliche "spinal tap " type bands.
It was a pity since standing in the Playhouse in Edinburgh on the balcony while the guitar intro to "She Sells Sanctuary" is playing is one of my best gig memories ever.
The Traveller


The Cult circa 1986

Post 2

LADY/THUNDERWING

i still have that record somewhere :o) love it but havn`t got a record player smiley - smiley


The Cult circa 1986

Post 3

The Traveller

I have to admit "Electric" is a very good album.
Ian Astbury from The Cult has teamed up with a couple of people from The Doors to play some gigs this year as The Doors Of The TwentiethCentury and they will play Doors songs but much as I admire both bands I think this ressurection will probably be a disaster.
The Traveller


The Cult circa 1986

Post 4

LADY/THUNDERWING

I don`t really know names ov the cure or even all the song names etc but i do know that i have many a nite listening to them smiley - musicalnote So what other music do you like ?
Some ov mine >>smiley - musicalnote> The Verve..
Coldplay.. Meat Loaf.. Metallica..
Travis..
Christina Aguillera..
n my mind has gone blank so i will get back to you with more LOL...Trish smiley - smiley


The Cult circa 1986

Post 5

The Traveller

I like quite a wide variety of music
Probably my all time favourite band is Pink Floyd .I also quite like bands that do sampling like Portishead or The Prodigy.
And there's nothing wrong with pop music either I quite liked some of The Spicegirls songs although perhaps I shouldn,t admit to this.
On the folk/acoustic side I quite liked Nick Drake and Beth Orton who has a similar style.
A bit of everything really.

The Traveller


The Cult circa 1986

Post 6

BrettSherman

I saw them at that concert too,(on that same balcony) and have to say I have bought everything they released since.
(Strangley enough, Gaye Bykers on Acid left a lasting impression on me, and I was upset when someone knicked the Purple Fluid Exchange badge I got from a boxed single (!!) off my US surplus black nylon pilots jacket one night in a, now burned out, trendy pub a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.)

I must have seen them 6 or 7 times since then. For me their continued evolution still kept that initial spark, and I still get excited every time I hear She Sells. My 80's anthem.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more