A Conversation for Wolves

No Subject

Post 1

Rumbleghost

I'm not so sure about dogs not hunting in packs. I love dogs, but it has been my experience that the moment you get 3 or more dogs together, the rules all change and you cannot be sure that you have a trained animal anymore. In northern Manitoban communities, where it is common to let your dog run loose, dog attacks on other pets, or even children is not unheard of. 6 dogs and no owners present... your household pet is a very, very different creature.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-19434507.html

I seem to recall an incident in Lynn Lake where some household pets were getting together and threatening kids during the day, and yet in the evening, going home to their respective owners and being a perfectly behaved pet. Permission was given for a designated person to put them down if he found the pack forming. Some owners got their pets under control. Sadly, some couldn't be bothered....


More light on wolves

Post 2

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

smiley - ta for shedding more light on the wolf.


No Subject

Post 3

Mina

"it has been my experience that the moment you get 3 or more dogs together, the rules all change and you cannot be sure that you have a trained animal anymore"

I'm a dog walker, and I can assure you that when I walk dogs in groups of 3 or 4 they do not pack together - they are always under my control and do remember their training. I've also read that feral dogs will scavenge in the same place, but do not 'hunt' together. Can't offer an authority on that though, offhand.

However, I do understand that in America dogs are very much considered to be more 'guard dogs' than pet dogs, but not hunting in packs I think was more to do with stray dogs, rather than dogs with homes.


No Subject

Post 4

Rumbleghost

Walking dogs includes leashes and someone holding them. They are "packing" but under you and under your rules. I was referring to off leash dogs in absence of a strong authority. Level of training has an influence on this, but nowhere near as strong as I would have expected.


No Subject

Post 5

Mina

I walk most of my dogs off lead - in the UK we still have that privilege, but what I was saying still stands regarding dogs getting together to scavenge, not to hunt, and it was feral/homeless dogs really, not pet dogs that are loose for the day.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more