A Conversation for What is God?

God.......yes.....well

Post 161

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Adib,

Yes, there is at least one person here who would love to hear your perspective. This is a very old thread, dating from 2000 and, in spite of its length and many 'low' spots, it did bring out a lot of opinions. It is possible that many of the people who were subscribed to it over the past two years have 'unsubscribed' and of course many will have simply wandered off like gypsies (arabs?) in the night.

If you want to have a larger audience I suggest we open a new conversation and call it "the Muslim point of view" or some such. But be warned that there will be a lot of juvenile and mis-informed hostility attracted to such a thread. Here at least you know you will have a receptive and eager audience in me.

I am not a Muslim. And I am not a jew or a Christian. I am not sure what I am, but I am curious about these things and always keen to learn more and hear new voices about 'old' subjects. I look forward to hearing more about your 'point of view' and promise to defend and support your right to express it no matter who else might stumble into this conversation or a new one if you want to start it.

I am currently reading 'The History of God' by Karen Armstrong, a former Catholic nun who has spent her life seeking the true sources of the 'one god' who spawned the three monotheistic religions. Her book has been a best seller for quite some time, but judging by the state of relations between the major religions of the world today, all the wrong people are reading it. So before we all slaughter each other in the name of this 'one god' perhaps we should listen to each other.

peace
~jwf~


God.......yes.....well

Post 162

Rik Bailey

Hmm maybe we could do that,
Many people seem to think that religion is against science and I myself was like that many years ago. But I have found insight and guidence through the Quran.
I have found many facts in the quran that only modern science has descovered like the stages of a embriyo in the womb and the big bang theroy.
I have not found one thing in the Quran that :
a) contradicts its self
b) contradicts modern science.

Just see what people sat to this for now.

Adib


God.......yes.....well

Post 163

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

It's good to get the Muslim point of view, Adib, especially with the current state of world affairs! smiley - peacedove Welcome! It makes me sad that so many Christians have such a literal view of the Bible that they believe science is their enemy.


God.......yes.....well

Post 164

Rik Bailey

Yeah it is sad.

Adib


God.......yes.....well

Post 165

Rik Bailey

I may not be on line till after christmas from today as work is taking up a lot of time till the new year.
Adib


God.......yes.....well

Post 166

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

We'll look forward to seeing you when you're back, Muzaakboy! smiley - bubbly(No alcholic..)


God.......yes.....well

Post 167

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

We'll look forward to seeing you when you're back, Muzaakboy! smiley - bubbly(No alcholic..)


God.......yes.....well

Post 168

Rik Bailey

As salaam Alaikum,
I'm back I think. Still a bit busy, an I've been boged down by other events lately, for example my friend coming down from london so I have to get a load of ingrediants to cook some grub.
Oh an jows this my best friends E- mail account got hacked and some one was stalking here by sending E-mails to her other account. She's given me the case of working out who it is where they are and how to stop them. He changed the password on her account which is annoying. But his gotta be by Coventry or in lahore. Which Narrows it down.
Well anyway how was your christmas?
Hope you all had a good time.

Adib


God.......yes.....well

Post 169

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

A wonderful time, thanks. Aside from your friend's problems, how was yours?smiley - smiley


God.......yes.....well

Post 170

Rik Bailey

Mine, it was ok. I was busy working though but still had a good time. Went back to birmingam and met up with some of my best friends.
New year was alrigt aswell. How was your new year?

Adib


God.......yes.....well

Post 171

Researcher 213485

I'm not exactly sure about what you just said. my friend (whose Buddist) said she believed in a heaven, just not the way as christian sect believe it.

one more thing i'd like to throw in for kicks. I think there are two types of people on earth today. one live in the real world of pain, sorrow, misery, death, deception and corruption and hold on to the belief that there is something higher and greater than humanity fore if there wasn't, what is life? the other type lives in the real world of pain, sorrow, misery, death, deception and corruption and have decided that there is nothing higher than this fore if there was how could he/she/it be so cruel as to leave them here?

Anything someone would like to add to this?


God.......yes.....well

Post 172

Rik Bailey

Well I'm a muslim, anyway I think your close to right with that assesment. But I think both types have several branchs as some people believe in a paradise and worship while others believe in paradise but do not worship if you know what I mean.
Allah hafiz.

Adib


God.......yes.....well

Post 173

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Interesting comments, 213485, but what do *tyou* believe? Are you in the optimist group, or the pessimists?
What dom you think about the 'pain, sorrow,misery,death, deception and corruption' being mostly down to humans anyway? My theory is we're here to purge these elements from our nature and therefore be worthy of heaven/paradise, and worthy of being with God, to whom all these negative things are anathema!smiley - smiley


God.......yes.....well

Post 174

Rik Bailey

I believe in God and paradise. I believe that if every one wanted to we could make this world free from suffering and pain.

Adib


God.......yes.....well

Post 175

Rik Bailey

I believe in God and paradise. I believe that if every one wanted to we could make this world free from suffering and pain.

Adib


God.......yes.....well

Post 176

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

The problem, Muzaakboy, is that people will *always* disagree about how best to do that (ridding the world of suffering.) No one, even in the same family, can agree. God has to sort it out... Using us, as it happens.smiley - rose


God.......yes.....well

Post 177

Rik Bailey

Yes I know that. If only every one respected each other and actually followed there religous books the world would be a better place. All religions call towards peace yet people abuse it and make it fit there own needs.

Adib


God.......yes.....well

Post 178

FairlyStrange

And that explains agnostics and athiests.

After a while folks get tired of mankinds' meddeling in the scriptures for their own profit.

Then a new religion is born and the process starts all over again.

NM


God.......yes.....well

Post 179

Rik Bailey

Kind of. God sends another book down. But The Quran is the last holy book though. God is not going to send anymore as the Quran can not be altered in the language it was written in.

Adib


God.......yes.....well

Post 180

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

What is your take on this issue, FS? God or not? Just asking...smiley - cat


Key: Complain about this post