Random Ramblings

2 Conversations

Don't be scared of loneliness

it's what you have embraced.

The above lines are much easier said than done when you encounter the following message, in alarmingly bright red, at the top of the page on trying to log into hootoo:


Just to let you know, we're no longer updating this page.

On discovering the threa(t)d on 'Ask h2g2', I immediately went to check. Imagine my horror when I found it was true! I really thought the Beeb had finally pulled the plug. After all, it wouldn't have been the first time that the eds weren't informed in time to make an announcement about decisions affecting the community, as happened with the h2g2 U16 ban a few months ago. Thoughts like: 'what will happen to my friends, The Post and the wonderful community' crossed my mind. Fortunately, it proved to be a glitch. Phew! Apart from the incredible loss of all the wonderful writing here, it would have meant a loss of knowledge, too, and this unique community.

The following is very typical for hootoo: about two weeks before Christmas last year, I asked the community for Book recommendations for my son. The feedback was great, and lots of books were suggested. However, I found that no bookshop (online or otherwise) had any of them in stock. Most said: about two weeks until delivery. Now I'm still waiting for the sixth volume of Artemis Fowl which I ordered mid-October – in time for my son's birthday two weeks later. So ordering them to take on our long journeys for Christmas didn't seem to be an option. In typical hootoo spirit, Thatprat offered to send me his copies of the Philip Reeve books – which he did. In case you read this, Thatprat: thank you very much! My son enjoyed the books very much, and so did I. I haven't yet finished the fourth volume (I had to wait until my son had finished reading it, and by then my holidays were over), but once I have, I'll return the books to you. If you come to the London Meet on 9th May, I'll treat you to a pint!

It's not the first time a fellow hootooer sent me things which aren't available here1, and I would digress too much if I were to list them all. And although we all know that writing for the Edited Guide is the 'be all and end all' for hootoo (at least officially), I'm sure it is the wonderful community spirit which makes this possible in the first place.

Talking of writing for the EG: when was the last time you did? It's been a while since I did. I guess I must be the world's best procrastinator. I started some sort of project in November last year, and I'm still far from finishing it. Meanwhile, I've had ideas for two more entries; both having come from conversations with friends on here. So far, I've only had a quick browse for material for them. Turned out there's lots and lots for both of them, so they're on the back-burner until I can find the time for a proper research and write-up – whenever that will be. Just as well that Peer Review doesn't have to rely on such a slow worker like me, especially now that the Stretcher competitors have all submitted their entries for round two, giving PR a nice little boost.

It will be interesting to see whether the UnderGuide is going to profit, too, maybe resulting in some fresh, suitable entries for the Alternative Writing Workshop which, from what I can tell, seems to be in dire need of more reviewers and new articles to feature the Front Page.

Talking of things which are possibly 'coming up': I hope we'll have a new instalment of Whatever Next this year. It made me read 50 Edited Guide Entries most of which I'd probably not have read otherwise. Another splendid way to catch up on EGEs you haven't read, is our latest Entry of the Month. Oh, and not to forget our latest, splendid issue of The Post for those who, like me, are procrastinating.

Procrastination

Random Ramblings

Archive

B'Elana

05.02.09 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1'Here' being Germany, in case you wondered.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A46829848

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more