The 9Th May 2009 "rebellian in a pint glass" International HooToo non-seasonal meet.

8 Conversations


As you may, or may not be aware, for the first time ever we had to cancel the 2008 Autumn/winter meet due to low attendance. Due to a conversation thread, that came to my attention, and due to there being a few reasons including people visiting the country as to why this is a good date, we are planning on having a meet on the 9th May 2009.


The London meets are always a good way to catch up with old friends, as well as meeting new researchers and forging new friendships, so both new meet atendees, and those who've atended every meet over the last decade always enjoy the experiance.


Its always nice to know in advance just who is likely to be atending, so if you can sign up as directed below, of course, your more than welcome to just turn up on the day!

Where


Central London, a pub(The Shakespeares Head) for the evening and not one, but two afternoon events to choose from.


See below for details of times and locations, for both the two afternoon events, and for the evening event. Anyone unclear on where, when etc., to meet up with others, feel free to contact via this page and we're sure someone will be happy enough to share a mobile number or two with you in order that you can find people and ensure you make it to the right place!


When


The 9th May 2009. With the evening event expecting to 'get going' from 6 or 7 PM (though likely as not some nair-do-wells will be found in the Shakespeares head from more like 3 PM, times of the afternoon event[s] are given below under the appropiate headings/subheadings.


Who is going?


nighthoover of course.


Sign up in the following thread:
Sign me up to the 9th May 2009 rebellian in a pint glass meet
And, to see who's already on the atendee list, go to :
A44911550


Afternoon events


Unusually this year we have not one, but two differnt afternoon events for researchers to choose from. Of course, some will no doubt take the 'third way', and just head straight to the pub, it is expected some researchers will be found in the Shakespears head from about 3 PM in the afternoon.


Event one; The Kew event

U236774 has again organised an afternoon event, with the details as follows:


The Kew event meets at Victoria Gate at 12.00, to start at 12.30. Finishes around 16.00 to 16.30 then onto Richmond and Pizza Express for supper, before heading for the Shakespeare's head for the evening's Meet.


Event two: The RF walk

U232535 has offered to organise a walk

U232535 gives us the following details, and more information can be found in This thread


OK, I seem to have been talked into doing the walk.


I reckon we should start at around 3pm. This will give us plenty of time, including a refreshment stop on the way...and arrive at the Shakespeare's Head in the early evening.


So, we meet at outside Bank station. Take exit 4 out of the station and we can assemble at the statue of Wellington outside the Royal Exchange. It has "Wellington" on it in big letters. If the statue you're at doesn't say "Wellington", you're at the wrong statue.


a walk from Bank to Holborn. This will take in the following sites and landmarks:


  • The Bank of England

  • The Mansion House

  • The London Stone A863309

  • St Paul's Cathedral

  • The Old Bailey

  • St Bride's Church

  • Fleet Street

  • The Royal Courts Of Justice

  • The Aldwych A6379310

  • Bush House A790058


This is an area of London about which I am reasonably knowledgeable, so will be able to provide some commentary above and beyond what you'll find in the guide books.


There is also Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese pub en route, so we can stop for refreshment in a historic venue.


Evening Event


As for the past few meets, we will again be attending the Shakespeare's Head- Africa House, 64-68 Kingsway, Holborn, London, WC2B 6BG.


The nearest tube is Holborn. This pub is literally just over the road from the tube station, and serves food all day, unfortunately the pub does not allow dogs except for guide/assistance dogs.


Travel over the weekend


Thanks to U236774 Here is news of planned work over the weekend in London; WE'll try to update nearer the time too to ensure that as far as possible we've got the info; Of course, the Transport For London (TFL) Web-site contains up to date information on transport across London, and the national rail web-site information for trains nationally including in and out of London.


Here is an update on planned engineering works on London Underground on the Meet weekend.



Please check your route with the details below:


Circle Line (Yellow one) -
No service Saturday 9th or Sunday 10th May.


District Line (Light Green one) -
No service in either direction between Embankment and Whitechapel on Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th May.
There may also be no service between Earl's Court and Embankment, but I am awaiting conformation!


Jubilee Line (Silver one) -
No service in either direction between Stanmore and London Bridge on Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th May.
A replacement service operates for part of this route.


Metroplitan and City (Purple line) -
No service in either direction between Moorgate and Aldgate.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A44864058

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more