A Conversation for 'Get Back' - The 'Lost' Beatles Album

The Get Back Album.

Post 1

A Pumford

A most informative article.
I knew that there had been some controversy surrounding Get Back the song due to the establishment at the time banning it because it contained racist lyrics that where literally telling immigrants from the West Indies to "get back to where you once belonged."
Lyrics that where later to be changed to tell another minority group (transsexuals) to "get back" as you probably know.
But I didn't realise this song was supposed to be a title track of an album that never happened...
You learn a new thing everyday. On a related subject do you know anything about an unreleased Beach Boys album that is supposed to be better than Pet Sounds by all accounts? it could just be a myth or rumour, but you never know?


The Get Back Album.

Post 2

Bluebottle

The original "Get Back" lyrics weren't supposed to be racist, and was intended as a anti-racist message by showing how wrong people with those views are. Afterall, Billy Preston was playing on the album.
Recently there was released a limited edition 20 CD set called "Thirty Days" containing literally ALL the takes and recordings from the "Get Back/Let It Be" sessions - what I wouldn't give to be able to find a copy! (If you know how to get one, PLEASE let me know!)

As for the Beach Boys, I don't really know more about them than anyone else, so I can't help with that question. Here's a list of all the Beach Boys articles,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A509663
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A543025
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A263594
and if that doesn't help, I know that Stealth Munchkin is Beach Boys obsessed. He may know, so try asking him at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/U111518
Hope that helps!

<BB<


30 days.

Post 3

A Pumford

Again I bow to your greater knowledge, I was relying on the BBC and their lax jounalistic methods fot my information. I should have researched it myself berfore drawing a conclusion.

I recommend that you search on [URL removed by moderator] for the tracks you desire. Even with the legal troubles concerning the web site it is still a great source of hard to find and obscure music. Looking on it myself the Beatles section is absolutely huge and is very likely to contain some if not all of the tracks from 30 days which you are after.

Thanks for providing me with information on the mystery Beach Boys Album. I shall explore the rumours more and try find out some firm facts. I`m not a huge fan but it intrigues me that such an album might exist.

As a very knowledgable Beatles fan how do you stand on the aftermath of the fab four splitting up and the influence they had on todays popular music?

Thanks again.

A.






30 days.

Post 4

Bluebottle

Thanks for your help. I assume you were referring to Napster - which sadly I cannot access directly at the moment, but I hope ot be able to, or get a friend to. That's the trouble with using University PCs - too many firewalls etc... smiley - blue

As for my views on the Beatle's splitting up - well, I was born at the start of 1980, so I never knew a time when they hadn't split up. When John Lennon was shot, the only song I knew was "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star". I don't really know how much they've had an effect on today's music. A lot of it is rap or heavy metal, which wasn't really their style, and there are too many boy bands trying to be pale comparisons of the Beatles. Oasis everyone feels is a Beatles-style band, yet I feel they have their own style and all their songs sound too much the same - something which, after Sgt. Pepper, you cannot say about the Beatles.
I also know very little about Ringo's career. Yet George, Paul and John definately released modern classics after the Beatles split up. If you don't have much of Paul's Wings music, the recently released "Wingspan" album contains most of my favourite tracks of his from the 70s. In many ways, it seems Paul has been overshadowed by John, and George overshadowed by both.

I think I'd have to think about this a bit more before I can give you a clearer answer. I have to decide a bit more on what I feel - I know what I think, but not how to put it into words, if you understand what I mean.

<BB<


The Beatles.

Post 5

A Pumford

Yes I was refering to Napster in my reply.
I didn't realise the link had been shut down by the authorities of h2g2 until I re-read it today.

Hope you find what your looking for there. If not the boxset might be available on one of those internet auction sites like ebay, etc at some point in the future...

Good luck in your search.

A.


The Beatles.

Post 6

Bluebottle

Thanks for the tips - I hadn't thought of looking on the auction sites, but you're right, there is a good chance of it turning up there if I can't find copies on Napster.

<BB<


The Get Back Album.

Post 7

Researcher 197192

I have acquired a copy of the Get Back album I am curious as to its value and where I might be able to sell such an item. Any input anyone has would be appreciated. In the U.S. most people have no clue about this album and have even been kicked out of record stores, told that it was an illegal bootleg. The album is in mint condition, having never been played to my knowledge. The album was also accompanied with a full size poster with matching album art. Thank you for any response.


The Get Back Album.

Post 8

Bluebottle

Which version of "Get Back" is it - the first or second?

I'm afraid I don't know anywhere where you could sell it, or how much it is worth, but I'd definately like ot know more about your copy.

<BB<


The Get Back Album.

Post 9

Researcher 200662

Paul McCartney actually sang a verse of Get Back which goes "...Don't want no Pakistanis taking all the people's jobs Get Back Get Back Back to where you belong!" This can be heard on any of the many bootlegs made of these Get Back sessions.


Beatles hotmailaccount

Post 10

Alfredo

If anyone wants my beatlesfourever@hotmailcom they can get it.

(beatles fourever was a usual slogan these days).

If you want it, i can give you the secret code, etc.

P.S. You can read my BBC Music Memory Yesterday (Beatles) in my space.

Greatings from Amsterdam


Announcement

Post 11

Mystrunner

Attention. You Have Been Randomly Selected For One Of Many Uniformly Annoying Announcements, Generated By The Randomly Annoying Announcement Engine, Located At A1012979. Further Work On This Project Is Continuing, Along With Our Fundraiser To Buy A Nuclear Warhead. Our True Purpose Is To Attempt To Revitalize Old Random Threads By Giving Them One Last Live Post. Attribute Starts With Illegal Character. Error Error Error! Redo From Start! Illegal Bread! Reboot Universe. Thank You.


Announcement

Post 12

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Attention.

If the three smileys below match, then congratulations! You *may already* have won one of our highly desirable titanium battle-smiley - sporks. Just send smiley - 2cents to cover postage, packing and fuel for the getaway vehicle.

smiley - tongueoutsmiley - tongueoutsmiley - tongueout


Announcement

Post 13

Bebel Matman Owlatron's Thundercat Tshirt Dude

Attention. You Have Been Randomly Selected For One Of Many Uniformly Annoying Announcements, Generated By The Randomly Annoying Announcement Engine, Located At A1012979. Further Work On This Project Is Continuing, Along With Our Fundraiser To Buy A Nuclear Warhead. Our True Purpose Is To Attempt To Revitalize Old Random Threads By Giving Them One Last Live Post. Attribute Starts With Illegal Character. Error Error Error! Redo From Start! Illegal Bread! Reboot Universe. Thank You.


Announcement

Post 14

Mina

Attention. You Have Been Randomly Selected For One Of Many Uniformly Annoying Announcements, Generated By The Randomly Annoying Announcement Engine, Located At A1012979. Further Work On This Project Is Continuing, Along With Our Fundraiser To Buy A Nuclear Warhead. Our True Purpose Is To Attempt To Revitalize Old Random Threads By Giving Them One Last Live Post. Attribute Starts With Illegal Character. Error Error Error! Redo From Start! Illegal Bread! Reboot Universe. Thank You.

Testing, testing...


Key: Complain about this post