A Conversation for Driving Etiquette - New Zealand

nz driving

Post 1

Goblyn

i noticed you forgot the other to include the other driving phenomenon,driving with indicators on until they near a corner than for no apparant reason they decide to turn them off and let you guess which way they are going to turn, you always guess wrong resulting in a major heart murmur and mass confusion of pedals and steering wheel.
i have noticed this tends to occur mainly in small towns, some cities but mainly small rural communities.
Is this because we are all supposed to know where they are going?
it boggles me time after time. i would appreciate anyones thoughts on this strange and life threatening behaviour


nz driving

Post 2

Sanx

The other trick to driving in NZ is to avoid people of east-asian origin. This may sound like a spot of racial-profiling (and it certainly is) but it is an undeniable fact that in NZ, asians do tend to be the cause of much concern.
It has become a common joke, on seeing someone driving erratically, dangerously, too slow, too fast or without any notion that there other cars on the road, to say "Bet they're asian". I'd say that, on average, nine times out of ten, it's the case.
I'm still not sure the reason behind this, but NZ does unfortunately have a fairly lax immigration policy which has resulted in very large numbers of people coming to NZ (mainly to Auckland) who cannot speak English to any great degree. They also are able to trade in their home-nation's driving licence and get an NZ one with, often, little more than a basic theory test. Maybe the home nations do not have any form of strict driving skill practical.
Recently, a car-load of Asian students were killed in the south island after driving across a single-lane bridge and then 'forgetting' which side of the road they should be on. They collided head-on with a small truck. It was later proved that the driver had been driving in NZ for almost a year.
Auckland can be a dangerous place to drive, but once you learn to give most drivers a wide berth (especially if they're Asian or showing any signs of not being able to drive safely), you're generally OK.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more