A Conversation for Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

What!!!??

Post 1

voda2000

How could this be on the 5 Most Neglected sites. Winnipeg is one of the most inportant places on the plante. I hope this entry gets more readers.

Note: "The Guess Who" were a Winnipeg based Band.


What!!!??

Post 2

Barney's Bucksaws

But don't forget, life does exist outside the Perimiter Highway. If you come to Winnipeg, might I suggest you check out the scenery, friendly country folk, and interesting sites OUTSIDE of Winnipeg as well. You forgot one of Winnipeg's nicknames - Winterpeg - but its a dry cold!


What!!!??

Post 3

voda2000

Here it is again on the 5 most neglected site. We need to get people to read this!


What!!!??

Post 4

Barney's Bucksaws

I don't know what to do! Perhaps we're the only 2 people in Manitoba who've read Hitchhiker's Guide??? I know we aren't, because I'm pretty sure you're not the person who loaned me the first book - - a long time ago - - before I went out and bought them all. BTW - I was in a nasty mood about Winnipeg when I wrote the above comment. I really have nothing against the city. And I remember the Guess Who before they were well known. My brother was a drummer in a band in Brandon, and he knew them.


What!!!??

Post 5

Barney's Bucksaws

Voda - Happy Thanksgiving. Hope you have a good LONG weekend.


What!!!??

Post 6

voda2000

Happy thanks giving to you too, Bucksaw. I certinally hope we are not the only one from Manitoba. Did you know that in the 1960 Winnipeg was second only to Liverpool in the number of bands.


What!!!??

Post 7

Barney's Bucksaws

I didn't know, but I'm not surprised. It was the same in Brandon - every garage seemed to have a band practising in it. Some were good, some were VERY good, and a lot were terrible! Brother played with The Syndicate during the late '60's - early '70's, then developed Drummers Wrists. Too bad - he was supposed to be the best drummer in Southwestern Manitoba. Now he plays guitar.
My husband went to Brandon Collegiate, and he remembers the Guess Who playing for their school dances.


What!!!??

Post 8

voda2000

It's too bad that there is not many bands like that left. That was some of the best music ever writen.


Highly Neglected

Post 9

JyZude

So Winnipeg is one of the top 5 Neglected entries? Oh dear. But don't worry, my article on Calgary is pending, and it'll be happy to share the neglected entries sidebar with yours. BTW the "it's a dry cold" gag is oft heard in Calgary too.

JyZude.


Highly Neglected

Post 10

Barney's Bucksaws

Voda - its sure nice to find someone else who likes Wheatfield Soul! Its still a great sound.

JyZude - another country heard from! How are things in Calgary? I lived there years ago, and haven't been back since. I have a Headhunter looking for a job for me there, though. At least amid your "dry cold" you get the odd Chinook. Here it can get cold and stay that way for weeks.


Highly Neglected

Post 11

voda2000

I'm into snowmobile and am hopping for a winter with lots of snow. The last three winters have been horibble.

Do you get the radio station 92 CITY FM in brandon? They are the only one who play anything good on hte radio in winnipeg.


Highly Neglected

Post 12

Barney's Bucksaws

I don't know. Actually, I live in Selkirk, but Brandon's my home town. I listen to 92 City FM quite a bit, usually in the car. Great music! At any rate, the whole family is born and raised on the Prairies - is there any place like it?

I used to be into cross country skiing, and, when I lived in the mountains I did some snow shoeing, but I've given it up for warmer pursuits in winter, now. And like every Manitoban, I skated as a kid.


Highly Neglected

Post 13

Barney's Bucksaws

Hey - have you noticed - Winnipeg dropped OFF the 5 Most Neglected Sights smiley - smiley


Highly Neglected

Post 14

Barney's Bucksaws

I heard on the radio today that Randy Bachman's written a book - Taking Care of Business. Take yourself off to Chapters! I'll be looking for it next time I'm in Winnipeg!


book

Post 15

voda2000

Thank for the information, I think I'll read it.


What!!!??

Post 16

B.C.M.

Is Elkhorn near Winnipeg? My grandmother came from there and I would like to go and see where she was brought up.


Removed

Post 17

Barney's Bucksaws

This post has been removed.


What!!!??

Post 18

B.C.M.

Thank you, Barney. I tried Mapquest, but it was running very slow, so I shall try another time. As you say it is a long way from where I live, but I think it is about time I started to plan another long distance trip. (It takes me a couple of years to sort everything out.)





What!!!??

Post 19

Barney's Bucksaws

Wonderful! Our Prairies are beautiful spring to late fall, and I'm sure you'd enjoy the trip. You might find other relatives in the area as well. I'm originally from Brandon, which isn't a huge distance from Elkhorn, and I'm particularly fond of that part of Manitoba.


What!!!??

Post 20

phrawzty

Winnipeg is chock full of goodness. Anybody who's honest about their lives and their reality will testify to that. smiley - smiley In fact, the only thing that we don't have, that i'd really like to see more of, are Arcades. They didn't really seem to take off here like they did elsewhere, which is really too bad.

I was working at an independant toy store downtown during the Pan-Am Games, and as a result had the opportunity to speak with a lot of the visiting atheletes and support crews. Of all the things they asked about, they most often wanted to know where our arcades were.

I'm inclined to agree..


Key: Complain about this post