A Conversation for Aldi Stores as Culture

Aldi and Australia

Post 1

Deleuzian

Aldi are soon to open many stores in Australia. Not only do Aldi not allow scanners and barcodes, they make all of their checkout staff memorise the prices of the entire product line instore! In addition, they are notorious for individual contracts, and do not believe in mnimum rates of pay.

Whilst consumers may get cheaper white bread, their staff (and the precedence this sets) are undervalued, underpaid and exploited.


Aldi and Australia

Post 2

djryan

In fairness Aldi do pay over the odds for the type of work (twice as much as other stores in Ireland) but their record on employee-relations is terrible.


Aldi and Australia

Post 3

Adziow

Well, don't know about there, but here in the UK they have scanners and barcodes!


Aldi and Australia

Post 4

Dead-Drunk

Indeed. In the UK, we do have scanners and barcodes in Aldi, and the only codes cashiers need to remember are those of fruit and vegetables, and this is because availability of these products varies from day-to-day.

Underpaid? £7.20 an hour sounds quite good to me.

- Ralph Allison
Aldi Appreciation UK


Aldi and Australia

Post 5

strangepilgrim

I recently found an interesting site for Aldi fans. Some people seem to keep all the folders from Aldi.
See: http://www.aldiarchives.info


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more