A Conversation for Aldi Stores as Culture

Aldi as union-breakers

Post 1

djryan

There's a problem with this rosy picture of Adli as the consumer's paradise. In Ireland several workers were fired for joining a union.


Aldi as union-breakers

Post 2

Sho - employed again!

Isn't that illegal under European Law? You'd think a German company would do better than that by their workers!


Aldi as union-breakers

Post 3

djryan

They're claiming that since part of the workers contract said that they waived their right to join a union they've broken their terms of employment. I'm not too sure of the legality of it, but it doesn't sound right to me.

I for one won't go near Aldi again.


Aldi as union-breakers

Post 4

Sho - employed again!

Strange that. It does seem a bit silly, though, to sign a contract saying they wouldn't join a union and then joining one. Probably if they really went at it that clause would be illegal. But it just goes to show that you should read and re-read and re-read again before you sign anything.
I heard that here in Germany Aldi pays it's Management Trainees well (ie. better than most other places).


Aldi as union-breakers

Post 5

Adziow

They pay area management trainees really well in the UK as well. ~37K + fully expensed Audi A4 from day one. Incidentally, there normal staff get paid a lot better than those at 'normal' supermarkets. at least £2 more per hour than Tesco's staff. i think it is a trade off between 'rights' and 'wages'. As the wage compensates for some potential (though not fully illegal) disadvantages.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more