A Conversation for How to Play the Bass Guitar

Additional hints

Post 1

Jeremy (trying to find his way back to dinner)

Good entry!

One extremely useful thing for anyone who plays a bass is to listen to all kinds of bassists (do not make any difference between tuba, double bass, electric 4-5-6-string bass, fretted/fretless). It's not the instrument, it's the function. Even most classical music has excellent examples of how a bass should work.

Above all: Try to be indispensable! The bass is the soul of any music. YOU (the bassist) decide whether the people start to dance or continue to stand still. Most musicians I have played with have told me that it's the bass they listen to. When the sea starts to get rough (esp. in improvised music), you may have to be a musical lighthouse for the other players (otherwise the might not find their way back).

keep on doing it!

jfsjbb


Additional hints

Post 2

King Louis XI

Here is another hint: Try power chords (But only on the A, D, and G string, it dosen't work well with anything below that). If you get a fairly good regular guitar amp, just turn up the tone and distortion and you can play a pretty good verson of "In Bloom" (by Nirvana). For those who do not know what power chords are, a power chord is when you choose a fret (Example: 2nd on the A string), and on the strings that are higher that the string that you chose (D and G), you would go up 2 frets (So it would be 2nd on the A string, 4th on the D string and 4th on the G string).

-Sean Thomson


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more