Did I Leave The Iron On?

1 Conversation

Did I Leave The Iron On? <br/>
by Greebo T Cat

Several A/K/A Random's 'sporting blues'

Hello, Post readers and AmSports fans! I've been paying as much attention to the subject as most of you so apparently have, which is to say, barely any. Last week I wrote about blind dog sledders and, since it is AFTER my stated deadline of midnight Monday GMT, I shall not even attempt to re-hash old news.

Neither shall I attempt to address the National Football League's offseason, the lack of a National Hockey League season, the National Basketball Association's current season (except to note the beloved Cleveland Cavaliers are hanging in there for a playoff spot) and I have NO CLUE what is to happen during the upcoming March Madness of the college basketball season, which is nigh upon us, the few that are AmSports junkies as is your correspondent.

How can I write about synchonized figure skating (or swimming, for that matter)?????? I managed to pay bills totaling over $250 American dollar$ Monday afternoon in the space of an hour-and-a-half, so for me to opine on AmSport millionaire$ is just a wee bit beyond my me.

And, like I said, I'm writing past the supposed deadline and I ought NOT to... irk my Esteemed Editor any more than I already have anyway. Shazz will try to cut off my white chocolate supply, the caffeine-fuel (I gotta get that in an IV somehow) unless I hit 'Send' here pretty soon.

I promise, I will write sports next edition. College basketball, preseason baseball; there's plenty of wasted bytes already on those topics, but I had a bunch of Real Life stuff to deal with this past week and just don't want to deal with... The Sporting Blues, as this particular segment of The Post is called.

I shall proceed to blast bad rock-and-roll, blues and jazz music up here in The Belfry and contemplate waking up to see 30-some miles of frozen Lake Erie out the back window. It's definitely a Monday for me, folks, so I shall be severak, a/k/a random, over and out, and reaching for the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters... and get new e-mail.

AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH.


Elsewhere, in a Small Place Called Europe

There were plenty of thrills and spills last week as the 6 Nations Championship entered its fourth round. Ireland and Wales were riding high, France were snapping at their heels, England and Scotland were lurking low in the tables and Italy languishing at the bottom. What would the weekend feast bring this week? Anything could happen!

First into the fray were Ireland, playing at home, and France. After burying the Scots side and snatching victory from England they really were out to impress the home crowd. France, however, had other ideas. They were still smarting from their defeat by Wales and determined to put themselves back in the frame. The Irish snatched an early lead with a penalty from O'Gara but the French answer 3 minutes later with a drop goal. Three further penalties followed putting the score at 9-3 to Ireland but then the French shifted up a gear and two tries and a conversion gave them a lead of 9 points going in at half time.

The second half opened with a strong onslaught from France but Ireland managed to sneak a penalty after 8 minutes. 12 minutes of tussle followed but the French were determined and pretty soon put another penalty over the bars. The Irish, still believing they can pull it back decide not to go for a penalty but attempt to put pressure on France. The ploy fails on this occasion but captain Brian O'Driscoll makes a fine run to score a try a few minutes later. The conversion puts them just 2 points behind. All hope goes, however, when France notch up another try with just two minutes to go.
France 26 Ireland 19

Match two saw an England side, playing at the home of English Rugby, Twickenham, determined to perform well against Italy. A penalty after 3 minutes was closely followed by a try from Mark Cueto and the conversion well-taken by Hodgson. There was then 20 minutes of tussling as England tried hard to capitalise on their 10 point lead and Italy put up some spirited resistance. All this crumbles as England score two tries and one conversion in quick succession and give themselves a 22 point cushion at the interval.

Italy emerged from the break with renewed vigour and a poor tackle gave them the opportunity to score a try and conversion. Undeterred England pressed on and, despite forfeiting one try when a forward pass was called by the touch judge, and with, possibly, help from the referee who called for uncontested scrums, two tries appear on the scoreboard. Hodgson, who seemed to be struggling again after looking good in the first half, fails to convert either of them. To add insult to injury England score another try right on the 80th minute and the ball is handed to Andy Goode who converts in the dying seconds of the game.
England 39 Italy 7

A day later and Wales took to the field. They had seen Ireland lose the day before and knew that a win would put them on course for their first Grand Slam since 1978. Scotland, playing in front of a home crowd at Murrayfield, had also witnessed England win convincingly pushing them down the table, so they also had something to prove. From the outset, however, it was clear that Wales were the hungrier side. Four minutes in and 7 points lit up the scoreboard. A mistake from Scotland in the 11th minute opened the way for another 7 with 7 plus 3 added in close succession. There was consolation for the Scots with a penalty, but another two 7 pointers were safely added by Wales before half time putting the score at 3-38.

The second half opened with some scintillating play as Wales showed superb passing ability and scored another try. Far from being discouraged the Scottish side seemed revitalised and, cheered on by their supporters, placed their first try which was impressively converted by Paterson. The next 15 minutes was spent with Wales defending against an onslaught from the Scots. Two good chances were foiled but the effort was rewarded with 12 points scored in 2 minutes of play. The gap was closing fast, but a penalty awarded 6 minutes from the whistle increased the Welsh lead and the Scots ran out of time. They pushed and pushed but a denied try with 3 minutes to go saw them too far behind.
Wales 46 Scotland 22

So this Saturday looks to have everything the Rugby enthusiast could hope for. Italy and France are first up and the French will have to come up with a basketball score - and pray that Wales lose - to stand any chance of knocking the Welsh off their perch. With a minus 81 deficit Italy can really only dream of finishing anywhere but bottom. Ireland are still in with a chance so match two will probably be the hottest match of the day. They need to defeat Wales by 13 points so expect fireworks. England and Scotland cannot threaten the top three teams but pride will see them vying for fourth rather than fifth place.

Standings After Fourth Week

TeamPlayedForAgainstPD1Points
 Wales 4119 57  62 8
 Ireland 4106 69  37 6
 France 4 78 69   9 6
 England 4 78 55 23 2
 Scotland 4 62112 -50 2
 Italy 4 32 123 -81 0

Fixtures

  • Saturday March 19:

    Italy v France (13.00 GMT)

    Wales v Ireland (15.30 GMT)

    England v Scotland (18.00 GMT)

Did I Leave The Iron On?

Archive

Several a.k.a. Random 
smiley - vampiresmiley - musicalnote
ShazzPRME

17.03.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Points Difference

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A3798183

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more