A Conversation for Nirvana - the Band

Grohl Vs. Cobain

Post 1

shrinkwrapped

I'm sorry but I think people focus WAY to much on Cobain. I used to be (and still am, I suppose) a huge Nirvana fan. But I have very little respect for Cobain musically, although his riffs were good he wasn't exactly great (not that you need to be, mind you) and from what I've read and watched he doesn't appear to have been that great a bloke. I have no idea why people idolise him, even today.

Grohl on the other hand.
I have a great deal of respect for him. He isn't constantly on drugs. He is a MUSICIAN - he's equally good at singing and drumming, as well as being a more proficient guitarist than Cobain. I also enjoy all of the Foos albums, which have been consistently of a high quality even though they contain a lot of variety. The Foos are so much more than a Nirvana spin-off.

I wonder how Novaselic's doing? Apparently his next band, Sweet 75, were, well... rubbish.


Grohl Vs. Cobain

Post 2

Linus...42, i guess that makes me the answer...

Great music has little to do with musicianship and everything to do with emotion and passion. These qualities were defined within Nirvana by the lyrics and vocal style of Cobain more than anything else.

Sure the Foo Fighters have some good songs but where's the passion? To me they sound way too much like the bands around just before the Sex Pistols burst ono the scene back in the 70's and snapped everyone out of their lethargy.

Cobains biggest problem was that he never came to terms with the fact that many of Nirvanas fans had totally missed the point of what he was saying and were the sort of people that would have wanted to beat him up when he was at highschool...

"with the lights out, it's not dangerous...."

Sure he had some serious character flaws, and if he did kill himself it was a pretty ^*$#ed up thing to do but give me a flawed genius over a competent technician anyday


Grohl Vs. Cobain

Post 3

Prez HS (All seems relatively quiet here)

WOuld it suffice to say Nirvana needed both Grohl AND Cobain to become what it became? Grohl for the most of the music, if you say his talents are indeed more impressive, and Cobain for, well, the grunge, the indulgence, the epitomy of nevermind that made Nirvana.
Grohl couldn't have done that alone. Nah. I think many sucessful bands make it because of that frontman/musical man combination.

After all, Charles would never have been able to do what Diana did, but without Charles, Diana would never have been princess!
More pennyroyal T, anyone?


Grohl Vs. Cobain

Post 4

shrinkwrapped

[Sigh]
Yes, go on. Sort out the debate why don't you.
You're right, HeadSnot.


Grohl Vs. Cobain

Post 5

Prez HS (All seems relatively quiet here)

Only when I pressed 'post this' did I realise the effect of complete dehydration the paragraph would have on this here threadery, young and vulnerable as it still was. There it lies now, snuffed at once by my senseless compromise effort. I weep. I weep for flowers broken in the bud, as was this threadery. I weep. I weep. I love sickly drama and overkill.


Grohl Vs. Cobain

Post 6

shrinkwrapped

As do I.
I mourn at its prospects, what it could have become. The debate may have run long into the night, its' soul and vitality souring with every hour as those involved stray from the subject in hand and lower themselves to abuse on a personal level.

'Grohl Vs. Cobain' Thread, I salute you.
*Gunshot into air*
*salutes*
*breaks down and sobs*


Grohl Vs. Cobain

Post 7

Linus...42, i guess that makes me the answer...

LOL

*unfortunately agrees with what has been said already so can't restart the conversation smiley - sadface*

Hmmm....topic drift in one easy lesson...

Can you believe th dead kennedys sued Jello Biafra for not letting someone use Holiday in Cambodia in an advertising campaign smiley - bigeyes


Grohl Vs. Cobain

Post 8

Prez HS (All seems relatively quiet here)

smiley - sadface bursts into uncontrollable tears smiley - sadface

I know nothing, absolutely nothing about kennedy's death of what he did in Biafra! Not only did I singlepostedly kill the last discussion, but now I can't see the new one grow! I... am failure! A failure, i tell you!
smiley - sadfacesmiley - sadface


Grohl Vs. Cobain

Post 9

shrinkwrapped

Yes, I CAN believe and agree with the other DKs suing Biafra.
Why? Because selling that track to mainstream advertisers (especially Levis, who aren't exactly known for their well-paid workers) goes against much of what the DKs stood for.

Give me Kennedys, give me Minor Threat. Don't give me this pop-punk rubbish.


Grohl Vs. Cobain

Post 10

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

Wow. I came into this thread looking for a really good argument to get into, and look! It's all over! You guys should be ashamed of yourselves, killing the Grohl V Cobain discussion so quickly! I'm gonna go listen to Grohl sing about how he hates Courtney Love.

(Cry when they all dye blonde!)


Grohl Vs. Cobain

Post 11

Linus...42, i guess that makes me the answer...

Now there's something we can all relate to...Mind you there are some great songs on the album Kurt wrote for her...

Oh and re the DKs, it was Biaffra who didn't want to sell the rights, the others sued him for lost earnings or some such thing smiley - sadface


Grohl Vs. Cobain

Post 12

scribble

ok, i'm not getting into this whole grohl vs cobain thing. all i want to say is that while i'm a nirvana fan, i'm not a nirvana fanatic. nirvana got big and then huuuuge (like a large inflatable phallus) while i was at college, and the songs were a soundtrack to those years. they were a good band, perhaps one of the best of the 90's, and i doubt that they would have been without both grohl and cobain together, or the other members of the band.

sad cobain felt he had to kill himself, and perhaps thats the main reason there are kids in the town centre wearing nirvana tops who were still listening to the equivalent of steps at the time nirvana were actually about, but for me the songs on Nevermind bring back a time i felt most alive and thats as good as any band can do.

lets forget the cult of personality.


Grohl Vs. Cobain

Post 13

simply scruff singing a rainbow

Cobain! Cobain! Cobain! that is all i have to say. sorry i am shallow.


Grohl Vs. Cobain

Post 14

Linus...42, i guess that makes me the answer...

Scribble, i must agree with you, it always makes a diference when you can relate certain songs back to past experiences in your life.

They all affect us differently (or not at all for the most partsmiley - sadface)

But Nirvana certainly hit a nerve with me


Grohl Vs. Cobain

Post 15

Researcher 142575

I agree Dave Grohl is multi talented, I saw the Foo Fighters this week in Manchester and they were Brilliant, can't say as much for the support though.


Grohl Vs. Cobain

Post 16

Linus...42, i guess that makes me the answer...

Each to their own i guess.

I'm not denying his talent, it's just that the band doesn't do much for me personally...


Grohl Vs. Cobain

Post 17

Researcher 201666

If you take the time to study Kurt you will learn there is alot more to him than the druggy front he was given by the press!Whilst in Nirvana I would just like 2 confirm that nearly every person used drugs in whatever shape, size or strength!I think that you should be more respectful towards Kurt and not put him under the label as a druggy as he was an amazing song writer who was obviously doing something right to win over as many countries as he did!He is a idol to many may young boys who are now all going back into the grunge music!You want to be careful what you say about him or you will hav a whole lot of angry hormonal teenagers after you!

Please rememer Kurt as the brilliant song writer, the person who could capture the heart of our nation and a man who was a great preformer!A free spirit he was him!Love peace empathy


Grohl Vs. Cobain

Post 18

Spectral Fire

Dave Groh is a very talented man but the fact reamains he's song would never reach the greatness that Kurts have. Kurt Cobain knew so many tunings it would make your head spin. One of the first song he ever learnt on guitar was Stairway To Heaven of all things. Just try and learn he's solos such as Serve The Servents, In Bloom, You Know Your Right and Carmadugeon. They are impossible it has to be said, Groh said that Kurt was a force of nature on guitar that when he let rip with solos no one could match him. Groh himself writes cheeset pop songs they all sond the same I could not imagine The Foo Fighters ever doing a decent acoustic album, whilst Nirvana already have. I have respect for Groh because he is underrated. But at the same time you cannot ignore that he was not as good a song writer as Kurt was.


Grohl Vs. Cobain

Post 19

Linus...42, i guess that makes me the answer...

Nice to see this forum has been revived smiley - biggrin

I notice Grohl is now playing with Queens of the Stone Age. Definetely a step in the right direction as far as i'm concerned.


Grohl Vs. Cobain

Post 20

shrinkwrapped

Oh my. Comrade Rumble pointed out to me last night that I had written the post to which this is a reply. I can't believe it. smiley - grovel Please don't tell!

All I can say is, I must have been drunk. Or really tired.

OR! Misinformed! Yes! By Comrade Rumble! Yes! That was probably it. He told me a lie and I believed him because I am childlike and naive.


Key: Complain about this post