A Conversation for Alexander the Great

The Question of Roxanna

Post 1

mamuomar

Rukhsana is an Asian name and that was the name of Alexander's pregnant wife. I can get you a reference on when and where they were married.

They were married in Afghanistan. Apparently, it was the need for a pure blood heir that stopped Roxanna's children ascending to the throne. European and not Afgan blood would have been pure to the paranoia of the people then.

My theory is that Roxanna perhaps fell ill or lost her child because of her competition with her co-wife. (is that the right term?)

There were no heirs because he liked mixing blood and we know how Europe felt about pure blood back in those days.

Sad old world.


The Question of Roxanna

Post 2

Elentari

Yes indeed, intermarriage was not popular with many of his officers.

Thanks for reading!


The Question of Roxanna

Post 3

mamuomar

its probably what made him go mad, hitting the bottle in Babylon


The Question of Roxanna

Post 4

Elentari

Maybe, but I think he was a pretty heavy drinker before that!


The Question of Roxanna

Post 5

mamuomar

I think the book I have is by Michael Wood


The Question of Roxanna

Post 6

mamuomar

there's heavy drinking and there's

"GIVE ME AN ULCER EVERY DAY TILL I DIE!
MY ABS ARE HARD!
I CAN HANDLE IT!
R U TALKING 2 ME?
....

y is no-one talking 2me?"

drinking

isn't there

slips off for a quiet
smiley - ale


The Question of Roxanna

Post 7

U168592

smiley - laugh

And a second laugh for Alex with a Connery lilt.

smiley - laugh

Here ish the man who wash making ready to crossh from Europe to Ashia, and who cannot even crossh from one table to another without loshing hish balance...

smiley - winkeye


The Question of Roxanna

Post 8

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Enjoyed this.smiley - smiley Especially the origin of Alexandropoulis, a town I visited when I lived in Thrace. Wow. All that history in a sleepy little place...

The people on the island of Samothraki claimed that Alexander was illegimate for the following reason: in ancient times, they said, there was a huge Temple of the Great Gods, still there as a ruin, though the original Winged Victory is in the Louvre...

Women who couldn't get pregnant spent the night in the temple and were, er, 'visited by gods'.

The cynical shepherds I met claimed this was how come Alexander thought he was the son of a god.

True or not, history lives on, even as rumour.smiley - winkeye


The Question of Roxanna

Post 9

Elentari

smiley - oksmiley - ta


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more