Doner Kebabs - a German Perspective Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Doner Kebabs - a German Perspective

10 Conversations

If, while visiting Germany, you find that you are hungry, try popping into a Döner-Bude where you can get a richer experience of fast food than the traditional sense of the phrase dictates.

A kebab from a Döner-Bude is made in the following way:

  • A flat, round bread, approximately the diameter of a car wheel1 is divided into quarters. Each quarter is the base of one portion.

  • Dressing is added to the quarters. You often may choose between herb dressing, hot dressing and various others.

  • Next comes the meat. Often you may choose between beef or chicken. If you prefer vegetarian, most Döner-Bude can accommodate you.

  • Now some vegetables, like tomatoes, cucumber, onions, and lettuce and again some dressing.

  • As an extra, you may choose to add cheese - normally sheep's cheese is used.

  • Your Döner is now ready, and will cost you, at time of writing, the equivalent of about a £1.

You may think it sounds like making a pita doner, and you're right. However, Kebab is Turkish, Pita is Greek.

1But much thinner.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A325784

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more