A Conversation for Mormonism - A Question and Answer Session

A more-or-less agnostic Buddhist , with a twist of time

Post 41

Mother of God, Empress of the Universe

I won't go into it too deeply, but since you asked, 1) I believe that people have a great deal more power over their own destiny than most care to access. 2) Karma is real. It is the law of cause and effect, and through my behavior AND how I chose to react to stimuli, I have a remarkable control over the events which make up my life. 3) I am ultimately responsible only to myself, and must set my standards for myself accordingly, which means to deliberately become the person I most respect. 4) If prior lives or an afterlife do exist, they have no relevance to the one I have now. My purpose is to make the life I have inherently valid and complete. And enjoy the process. smiley - smiley


A more-or-less agnostic Buddhist , with a twist of time

Post 42

MrNiceGuy

And with that incredibly profound, secular viewpoint presented, it seems everyone has lost interest in the conversation....


A more-or-less agnostic Buddhist , with a twist of time

Post 43

Cat

Empress of the Universe - Sorry I didn't respond earlier, but it was the weekend, and I, of course, am a soccer mom. Also it is getting to be the fall here and I have about 30 grape plants that needed processing.

I wish that more people had a believe that they are responsible for their own behavior. So many people think that what ever happens to them is not their fault or that others cause the problems in their lives. Of course, I wish that I felt that I had more control over the events that make up my life. Sometimes, I feel that I have just dealing with what life is handing me.


A more-or-less agnostic Buddhist , with a twist of time

Post 44

Cat

Mr Nice Guy - No need to be rude.


A more-or-less agnostic Buddhist , with a twist of time

Post 45

MrNiceGuy

I'm not being rude, just making an observation. As for what the Empress is saying, she doesn't just say that she is responsible for her behavior, she says she is responsible for her destiny. There's quite a difference there. You are absolutely correct when you say that one of the problems in our country today is that people are trying to blame someone else for EVERYTHING that goes wrong in their lives, not wanting to accept personal responsibility for anything. Yes, it may seem that you are just dealing with what life hands you, we all have to do that. The important thing is to understand that when people do us wrong, it is ultimately because mankind has a sinful nature, and that is never going to change---on this earth. The thing we need to do is have a forgiving heart, and not repay a wrong with another wrong. That's not karma (which is a laughable concept)...that is what Jesus would do.


A more-or-less agnostic Buddhist , with a twist of time

Post 46

Mother of God, Empress of the Universe

Oy vey. You just hit the nail on the head, regarding our differences, Mr. I am nowhere near as pessimistic as you. I don't believe people are inherently sinful. I believe we are inherently divine, and just have to focus on accessing our true nature. Nobody said it was supposed to be easy. That is why I go by the Mother of God title.

And it seems that when I approach others with a positive expectation regarding their character, the finer aspects do shine through. I'll stick to cause and effect, or Karma, thank you. You and Jesus can forgive 'em all for being human. But I suspect that I get much better results...


A more-or-less agnostic Buddhist , with a twist of time

Post 47

Mother of God, Empress of the Universe

Hi Cat! Thanks for your kindness here--didn't intend to divert the original conversation. It just happened that way...hehehe smiley - winkeye We've all gotta deal with life as it comes to us. Just a matter of whether you prefer to make wine or vinegar from the grapes you harvest. Keep up the good works!


Mormonism

Post 48

Muggel Chicken

finnally some one agrees with me sorry i haven, talked much went on a ftx in cadets but its nice to see that there hasn, been too much bashing


A more-or-less agnostic Buddhist , with a twist of time

Post 49

Cat

Empress - One of my favorite sayings is "We are not human beings having a spiritual experiance, but spiritual beings having a human experience." I love it as it reminds me that I am special and I should act in accordance with me heritage (as a daughter of God) and should treat others the same (as children of God). Not to say that I am always perfect, nor do I try as hard as I should all the time. Right now there is a particularly annoying guy at work that is my challenge.


Mormonism

Post 50

TheHeartofGold

Upon studying the Bible and the Book of Mormon on my own for a few years, I have found that the Bible clearly supports the Book of Mormon and the Book of Mormon brings clarity to portions of the Bible that are difficult to discern due to poor translations. If there are errors in both the Bible and the Book of Mormon, they are the fault of man, not Heavenly Father or Jesus Christ. Both books testify that in order to return to the father, we must have faith in the only person whose name given on earth and in heaven which was commisioned before the world began to this work, Jesus Christ. I have followed several conversations such as these and have found the bickering that ensues between people assists no one except Satan. He must be laughing with delight over such conversations. We, Latter Day Saints, have from devine revelation been instructed that god tells man to write regarding relations of god and man, not just in the areas where the Bible was written, but on all the islands of the sea. Where ever god determines that to be. Taking the counsel of no man. Several years ago, I was talking to a friend who is from India about his religion. Don't ask me which one, but it was not a christian religion. I was astounded when he spoke of the purpose of the earths creation and the creation story. It is so close to what we believe our purpose here is to be that i am sure that his story is an inspired revelation from god. What do I think of other cuntries religions or your religion, I respect them for in them can be found bits and pieces of the truth that god wants us to know. Your faith in the promise that all man can come unto the Father if they believe in Jesus Christ and do what he has shown us by example to do. Rather than continuing this discourse, I challenge you to obtain a Book of Mormon and read it cover to cover. In the last chapter of Moroni, do waht he suggests. Then you will know without a shadow of a doubt whether these words be true. All the logical arguments in the world will not convince you unless you open your heart and Mind to the Gift of the Holy Spirit who testifies to all the truth. Jesus is the Christ, Heavenly Fathers only Begotten Son and the Book of Mormon is the Word of God as is the Bible.

I say these things humbly in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.


Mormonism

Post 51

Matziq

Hey, where are you from? I had a friend who served his mission in Scotland and used to play football all the time with the local kids...

Cya!
Matziq


Mormonism

Post 52

Matziq

"Just in case" could mean anything....war, famine, flood, fire, pestilence, out of work...whatever... Better safe than sorry...and you can continue to cycle through the food so it never goes to waste.

I have been a member for 25+ years so any questions are ok with me!

Matziq


No Subject

Post 53

wormrow

Glad to see that this conversation is starting to go the right way, that is building each other up and ignoring people who act superior to others. As children of God, we have a duty to show charity for others and help others with their problems where we can, whether they be black, white, Christian, Buddhist, atheist, or satanic worshipper. The more I discover about other religions the richer it makes me feel. When we close our eyes to the world and refuse to see truth, the universal element, in all things, then we are certainly in a sad condition. I agree with the view of the gentleman preceding my remarks - can't seem to remember his name. To gain a full knowledge and understanding of the Book of Mormon we must continually read it over and over. The Spirit will let us know if what we are reading is true. This also applies to the Bible or any other inspired scripture.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more