What's in a [Pirate] Name?

2 Conversations

With the International 'Talk Like a Pirate' Day around the corner1, we couldn't but try our best to help you look the part for it...

A Pirate Name Generator site near by was searched for and found so that you could get a brand new identity and appearance for that important and not to be missed day.

You might want to get yourselves into a pirate kind of mood first... So here is a little appropriate musical background to start with.

The Pirate Name Generator

Not as straightforward as with the other previously featured Name Generators unfortunately... You will need to answer twenty questions before getting that new name.

But, like for the other names, it will (probably) be worth it...

And, as a bonus, you get a description as well.

So check it out here and have fun...

My Pirate Name

'Dread Pirate Kidd

Like the famous Dread Pirate Roberts, you have a keen head for how to make a profit. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!'

Fine by me...

Others' Pirate Name

As usual, I went on with the (rather greater than usual in this case) task of checking how some of our Hootoo's finest would look or sound in their virtual pirate outfits...

To be fair to everyone, I made a point of answering the same way (except for the times when I forgot what I answered on behalf of the previous victim, the one asking for the gender and when I had to start again because the pirate name given was the same than someone else's2, that is) to all the questions.
(I should really get a life me thinks...)

First in the firing line: the Post Team...

ShazzPRME: Dirty Mary Bonney
'You're the pirate everyone else wants to throw in the ocean - not to get rid of you, you understand; just to get rid of the smell. You can be a little bit unpredictable, but a pirate's life is far from full of certainties, so that fits in pretty well. Arr!'

Greebo T Cat:Black Grace Bonney
'Like anyone confronted with the harshness of robbery on the high seas, you can be pessimistic at times. You can be a little bit unpredictable, but a pirate's life is far from full of certainties, so that fits in pretty well. Arr!'

Awix: Dread Pirate Bonney
'Like the famous Dread Pirate Roberts, you have a keen head for how to make a profit. You can be a little bit unpredictable, but a pirate's life is far from full of certainties, so that fits in pretty well. Arr!'

Titania: Dirty Ethel Bonney
'You're the pirate everyone else wants to throw in the ocean - not to get rid of you, you understand; just to get rid of the smell. You can be a little bit unpredictable, but a pirate's life is far from full of certainties, so that fits in pretty well. Arr!'

Wotchit: Dirty William Kidd
'You're the pirate everyone else wants to throw in the ocean - not to get rid of you, you understand; just to get rid of the smell. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!'

Then, it was the Italics' turn to walk the plank...

Natalie: Dread Pirate Cash
'Like the famous Dread Pirate Roberts, you have a keen head for how to make a profit. You're musical, and you've got a certain style if not flair. You'll do just fine. Arr!'

Jim Lynn: Captain Sam Roberts
'Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes - but who really cares? Arr!'

Jimster: Bloody James Cash
'Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. You're musical, and you've got a certain style if not flair. You'll do just fine. Arr!'

Paully: Mad Harry Bonney
'Every pirate is a little bit crazy. You, though, are more than just a little bit. You can be a little bit unpredictable, but a pirate's life is far from full of certainties, so that fits in pretty well. Arr!'

Beth: Iron Bess Bonney
'A pirate's life isn't easy; it takes a tough person. That's okay with you, though, since you are that person. You can be a little bit unpredictable, but a pirate's life is far from full of certainties, so that fits in pretty well. Arr!'

At that point, I usually tend to visit the political scene, but time is ticking pretty fast and, as we want you land-lubbin' readers to be first class pirates on the big day, it has purely and simply been skipped this time...

Alternative Pirate Name Generators

A very straightforward one where you only need to type your name.

Another very straightforward one where you only need to type your name.

Want To Talk Like A Pirate?

You've now got the name and the virtual look but, to really and fully participate to the International Talk Like a Pirate day, you now also need to know how to er talk like a pirate...

Have no fear, there is plenty of help available on that subject and there is no better place to find it than on the International Talk Like A Pirate Day British Headquarters own website somehow.

The added bonus being that you can also get free ring tones like the one I used earlier in this article or even this one.

If you can't be bothered looking for it, here is the link for the Talk Like A Pirate page itself anyway.

The Pirate Test

Oh yes, there is a Pirate Test too...

You didn't think that anyone could be a pirate just like that, did you?

My results are as follows:

'You are ... VERY pirate!!

Violent storms? No problem. Scurvy? No big deal. Mutiny? Bring it on!
The high seas don't faze you! So get your talking parrot, put on your eye-patch, and swab the deck!'

So, if you really want to know how Pirate you are, click here to find out...

Another Pirate Test

This one is called What Type Of Swashbuckler Are You?

Worth a try as well...

A Nifty Pirate Trick

Try the Pirate Translator and see how your h2g2 Personal Space looks written in Pirate Talk.

Be prepared for a shock though...

Other Pirate Related Links

Talk Like a Pirate Day (US).

The Other Other Talk Like A Pirate Day Site.

Official Australian Site for Talk Like a Pirate
Day
.

Pirate Wars! The Browser Based Game.

Talk [Not Necessarily Like A Pirate] To Us

You know by now that we really, really do like it when you let us know what name you've got from the featured name generators or/and results you've got from other links mentioned in the articles... So, don't be shy, ok?

Many thanks in advance.

Post Scriptum

I would like to point out that this timely article would not have been possible without Quizzical' suggestion and links3...

Previously Featured Name Generators

Loups Archive

'loup.dargent' with
Quizzical

16.09.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1September the 19th, to be precise...2Unfortunately, I couldn't do much regarding the descriptions though...3That was just to make sure you knew who is to be blamed for this one.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A3000114

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more