Random Ramblings

0 Conversations

You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille

With four hungry children and a crop in the field

Yes, it's sad but true: real (work) life raised its ugly head, and our scouts benjaminpmoore and Icy North left the scheme. Now we do need active scouts at the best of times, but what with Peer Review buzzing with new submissions after the last 'call to arms' nearly everywhere on hootoo, we really can't afford to lose a single reviewer. Ben, Icy, your input will be sorely missed!

On a lighter note: Jordan rejoined the scouts, so welcome back Jordan!
And since I wrote the first draft of this, we had another scout rejoin: welcome ST, and three more people volunteering: echomikeromeo, Terran and Skankyrich. I guess by the time this issue hits the Front Page, they'll all have made their first picks already.

Things are looking slightly better in the sub-editors' corner: so ok, Icy left, but we recently (more or less) had three Reseachers (re)joining, namely Gnomon, Matt (the Hoopy), and Eco Worrier - a belated welcome, and keep up the good work!.

Alright, best get yourself a cup of tea or coffee or whatever your preferred beverage is, because this is going to take somewhat longer to read, provided you do take the time to follow the links, which is highly recommended.

Most of you will be aware of the journals and ongoing discussions about the future of the guide these past weeks. Isn't it funny? There I have been banging on about the Edited Guide, Peer Review, the Scouts, the importance of writing and reviewing entries ever since I started writing this column - with no result at all.

Up pop a few journals of the 'old hands', a 'Why not open the Edited Guide up' debate in Ask the h2g2 community, a gripping appeal in the last h2g2 post - and people from all corners of hootoo rush to sign up for the h2g2 Researchers' Group, putting aside any personal squabbles they may have on hootoo, acknowledging for once that the Guide needs us all. Well done, everybody!!

And the eds? They are well aware of what's going on here, just have a look at last week's Talking Point: What Should We Do With h2g2?. Please, do take your time to read through the conversations, then add your own comments. It really is important that we use this opportunity to voice our thoughts.

Btw, on Thursday, 06.12.07 we'll celebrate the 8th birthday of the h2g2 Post! Why don't you get your writing cap on and submit something to the Post for this special occasion? We have every reason to celebrate! And on this note I'll leave you to browse the site and enjoy watching the switch from recent Endzeitatmosphere1 to 'Reboot' now, and be inspired.

Random Ramblings
Archive

B'Elana

29.11.07 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1End of the world, or rather: the Guide.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A29563581

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more