A Conversation for 'American Pie' by Don McLean

You're joking, right?

Post 1

Meddling Jackanapes

American Pie is possibly one of the worst songs ever written. It has no deeper meaning, no matter how hard you look. It's this sort of jingoistic, anthemic rubbish that gives American music a bad name, and justifies the term "AOR". You may as well listen to anything by "Starship".


You're joking, right?

Post 2

dave

the song was ruined by madonna,bar that i dont know anybody else who covered this brillient song


You're joking, right?

Post 3

Iluvatar(ruler of middle earth and all of Ea and Arda)

What!?!?!? American pie is possibly the best song ever written(in my opinion) & Don McLean himself admits thet it refers to Buddy Holly!


You're joking, right?

Post 4

J

Here's something that basically proves there's a deeper meaning - http://www.rareexception.com/Garden/Pie.php

Long, but a pretty interesting read. You'll never hear the song quite the same way. smiley - smiley

smiley - blacksheep


You're joking, right?

Post 5

Steve K.

"American Pie is possibly one of the worst songs ever written."

Nah, didn't even make the list in "Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs". Now, THERE are some bad songs:

"MacArthur Park" by Richard Harris (and "brought back to life, Jason-like, by Donna Summer ... [adding] the disco factor. 'Oh NOOOOO'")

"Yummy, Yummy, Yummy (I Got Love in my Tummy)" by the Ohio Express

"(You're) Having My Baby" by Paul Anka

... etc.

Even "Louie, Louie" got some votes smiley - headhurts, but no sign of "American Pie".


You're joking, right?

Post 6

Steve K.

Ooops, I stand corrected.

"... these people were ANGRY. These people were advocating the use of tactical nuclear weapons against the next radio station to play, for example, 'American Pie'".

smiley - musicalnotesmiley - rocketsmiley - yuk


You're joking, right?

Post 7

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I enjoyed this entry - thanks for the gloss on the references!

I admit to liking the song 'American Pie' for reasons unrelated to rock'n'roll - I always read it symbolically.

Back in the early 80s. William Prochnau wrote a novel called 'Trinity's Child', which was later made into a film called 'Dawn's Early Light'. It's concerns an allout nuclear war scenario set in the Reagan years. In the novel (but not in the film) an aircrew, flying over the Pacific Northwest after World War III has broken out, hears a lone radio station playing 'American Pie'. I've always liked that irony.

smiley - dragon


You're joking, right?

Post 8

hammondorgan

Buddy had parted from the Crickets by the time he was killed, the Crickets have carried on with original members Jerry Allison and Sonny Curtis to this day, I was 9 when the accident happened, but I well remember the shock wave then, Buddy was probably a bigger star in Britain than in the States at the time of his death, his career was becoming stalled over there but not here. Of course the Beatles and the Stones (Words of Love and Not Fade Away respectively) played Buddy songs and were probably responsible for renewed interest in Buddy's work in the early 60's, Don McLean himself played a fantastic version of 'I Guess It Doesn't Matter Anymore' (It's either on his Playin' Favourites or Chain Lightning album.) I don't know why American Pie raises such antipathy in some people, I always thought it was a pretty strightforward homage by a talented singer songwriter to his hero, but you pays your money etc. I suppose it's been around forever and never stops getting airplay, it must get on some people's nerves. My only problem is it distracts from loads of other great songs that McLean did, 'Bronco Bills Lament' is a lot more enigmatic than American Pie, (it's on the same album, dig it out and listen), anyway, American Pie must be the most analysed song in pop history and like Don says, it kept him off the breadline.


You're joking, right?

Post 9

littlenewey

american pie like many others was the first song of dons i heard and that hooked me 34 years ago and im still listening,great anthem just like dons other songs brilliant,the master.smiley - smiley


You're joking, right?

Post 10

hammondorgan

What about Winterwood? It's just the time of year to dig it out and play it, Don hasn't toured for ages, I wonder if he's OK? He can always fill halls in Britain.


Key: Complain about this post