A Conversation for Wildlife Gardening - Natural Slug Control

Coffee Grounds

Post 1

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

Just been reading Chris Beardshaw's comment in Saturday's Daily Mail where he advocates what I mentioned in your PR thread - use of coffee grounds. He says he dries them before scattering them around slug-prone plants.

Wonder why he dries them. Any ideas, coz they'll soon absorb moisture from the earth anyway!?

I just take mine straight out of the filter machine and put them straight on the ground.

Incidentally, with your BBC connections, are you aware of the booklet/CDROM available f.o.c. from the BBC called 'Breathing Space'? IOt's all about how to make ones garden more wildlife friendly. Apparently there are loads of packs still available that haven't been claimed. Persoinally, I was totally unaware of it, but Mrs RBA saw the info somewhere and got us a pack.

smiley - biggrin


Coffee Grounds

Post 2

Mina

He might dry them out because they can stain the plants if they're a bit juicey. At least once they are on the ground if they soal anything up they probably won't be touching the plants by then.

I hadn't heard of that free pack, I'll have a search for it. smiley - ta


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more