A Conversation for Laurence Olivier

Third version of 'Marathon Man' episode.

Post 1

Cheerful Dragon

The version I read was that Hoffman's character was weak from not having eaten for several days, so Hoffman fasted to get the feeling right. It doesn't matter which version is true, though - Olivier's comment still applies. I have no objection to 'Method' acting (Hoffman's style) over any other approach as it's the end result that matters. However, I do think that it's possible to go too far and Hoffman definitely went too far with that one.


Third version of 'Marathon Man' episode.

Post 2

James Casey

Vigorous nodding! I'm not an enormous Hoffmaniac, though he has done some excellent work. As to the Method, Brando's performance in 'On the Waterfront' is of the highest calibre...and a lot of his other ones...not to mention De Niro...


Third version of 'Marathon Man' episode.

Post 3

Peregrin

It reminds me of a more recent example of getting into character... unfortunately I'm terrible at remembering names and so I can't remember the name of the actor or the film. But in it he plays a mentally disabled guy, and during shooting the actor got into character by insisting on being wheeled around in a wheelchair, hand fed (while foaming authentically at the mouth), and dressed by his attendants, 24 hours a day.

I don't think the crew were very impressed though!


Third version of 'Marathon Man' episode.

Post 4

Cheerful Dragon

I agree that a lot of Brando's performances are good, but I recently saw him as Fletcher Christian in Mutiny on the Bounty and his performance sucked. He was putting on a god-awful upper-class English accent, and his mannerisms were hideous. I only saw a bit of the start of the film because I felt his performance was so bad that I couldn't stay with it. Maybe it got better as the film progressed, but I couldn't be bothered to find out. I actually preferred Mel Gibson in the film 'Bounty', and I don't rate him as one of the world's great actors.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more