A Conversation for Tin Town - the Navvies of Birchinlee

The Story of birchinlee

Post 1

Suttonsclan

I hope someday someone will be on the same site as i am today, February 9th 2009, feeling overwhelming pride.
I am blessed to be a direct ancestor of Mr. George Sutton of Derbyshire (his Great-great grandaughter to be precise), i was previously aware that he was what i would call a 'good man' though i never knew to what extent his purpose was in Birchinlee.
However after coming across this beautiful article i finally know all the truth of his time there.
I am very eager to visit where he once helped create such a wonderful thing.
With all the best regards to the BBC H2G2 and any reader who appreciated the article half as much as i did,

Heather Elizabeth Anscombe of Castleford.
[email protected]


The Story of birchinlee

Post 2

The H2G2 Editors

He sounds like an amazing man, you must be very proud. Thanks very much for posting, Heather.

Full credit for this fine Entry goes to our Researcher Pinniped! smiley - smiley


The Story of birchinlee

Post 3

Pinniped


Hello Heather

I'm glad you enjoyed the piece.
Have you found any of Prof Robinson's books, or (if you're lucky) maybe a copy of George Sutton's own?
I hope you find other Entries in h2g2 rewarding too.

Pinnipedsmiley - smiley


The Story of birchinlee

Post 4

Suttonsclan

Hi,
Yes we certainly are lucky as the book is in the possesion of my aunt however i have not had the pleasure to read it as of yet.
Thank you.


Relatives of Birchinlee

Post 5

ges

Thank you for a really comprehensive article. I am also one of George Sutton's greatgrandaughters. I, along with my mother still tend his grave along with his children's graves (Fred and Phoebe Sutton).

Katherine


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more