A Conversation for Stevenage, Hertfordshire, UK

Ah, Stevenage...

Post 1

Is mise Duncan

I'm on record as not liking the place - since I did my "gap year" placement at ICL.
Imagine coming from the buzz and cultural diversity of Birmingham to the self-similar, almost fractal layout of Stevenage...with a roundabout at every corner and a pinball machine in every pub. It wa shere that my first Landrover expired (I can only assume of boredom smiley - winkeye ) but it did set me up for a career in IT - just about says it all really.

I did, however, like the cycle paths - and the coloured lines and signs which guided you along them...since, being as they are mostly in large ditches it is impossible to see any actual landmarks....






Ah, Stevenage...

Post 2

Ashley

For a truly cultural experience, head less than three miles out of town to Knebworth. Truly a fantastic place and one I like to call home.


Ah, Stevenage...

Post 3

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

I haven't been to Stevenage in ages and I don't remember much about it, so the guide entry is nice reminder. But I did used to live in Hitchin Hertfordshire, which is I believe not that far from Stevenage


Ah, Stevenage...

Post 4

Queazer

Stevenage. An... okay... place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there...... D'oh! smiley - smiley
And, yes, Hitchin is just up the road (the A602) NorthWest-ish.


Ah, Stevenage...

Post 5

Flollop

Stevenage, Stevenage. What can I say about Stevenage?

I too worked for ICL in Stevenage and for 18 long dreary months travelling from the better looking but equally dull Knebworth.

Stevenage is a dump, it smells, it's concreteness and flatoid dullity drove me to Letchworth. Need I say more?






Ah, Stevenage...

Post 6

Mustapha

Hey, Queazer,it may not be very interesting now, but it sounds like it was a while ago, which is why I'm giving it a link in the English History wing of the h2g2 Historical Society, here:

http:www.h2g2.com/A261631


Ah, Stevenage...

Post 7

Is mise Duncan

ICL (STE04) was no picture itself, but at least the canteen did a decent sausage sarnie for breakfast smiley - winkeye.


Ah, Stevenage...

Post 8

Queazer

Oooh. Ta very much! smiley - smiley


Ah, Stevenage...

Post 9

Jim the Wonder Llama (back from yonder)

Stevenage was built with so many roundabouts, because they didn't want any traffic lights. Now they've got three sets of the buggers.... two of them on roundabouts?????!


Ah, Mc Stevenage...

Post 10

Pink Paisley

Could do with an update. Since the building of Asda there is now a 4th opportunity to eat McFood.

PP


Key: Complain about this post