The CAC Continuum

1 Conversation

~jwf~ sees the future is bright

Take me to your lido!

Fiction smiley - discoWeird Science smiley - disco First/Personals smiley - emptyKitchen Syncronicitiessmiley - discoSatire

This week

CAC-C features the work of one very creative writer
who is experimenting with ways to break through
the words versus pictures barrier



Oo-oo words AND pictures!

Graham Theexwinger

recently dropped us a note to offer 'this bit of stuff'

and we were made glad to see that there is yet hope
that web based writing may yet mature into a new art form

A2475236


smiley - wizard
Editorial comments


A long history of intellectual snobbery about comix and children's books and other illustrated stories is still impeding web based writing. Most writers fail to understand that a computer screen is not a printed page and fail to come to terms with this new medium. Quite frankly, reading text online can be very tiring.
smiley - online2long

It isn't just the lack of visual imagination shown by writers. Another reason is the lack of literacy displayed by computer graphic artists. They think in shapes and colours and can't string two words together. That's why Flash and other computer animations can be as unsatisfying as pages of solid text.
smiley - bigeyes


One would think that a marriage between writing and the visual arts would be a natural one. Both are creative arts. But it only works in comic books and kid's books. Even so called artbooks and other kinds of illustrated manuals reflect a negative creative tension between words and pictures. As a result, most computer communications continue to suffer from a conflict between text and images.
But things are showing signs of improving.
Our featured entry is a glimmer of hope. The content may seem deliberately juvenile, as if the writer is having fun impersonating a younger writer - getting excited about madcap acts of juvenile delinquency involving cats and dogs and green slime. But behind that fun is a very clever ploy to maintain the interest of younger readers with short attentio... - oh look a birdie!
smiley - tit


Note the many computer generated effects U248371 incorporates into his text. The use of the sidebar boxes for additional info is a very visual element which involves the reader in a very satisfying puzzle-solving exercise, the way good web pages do. Asking the reader to participate and to think stimulates the imagination and makes us see how a parallel reality of youthful bad behaviour might sometimes follow the familiar plotlines of the movie "ALIEN".
Check it out!
smiley - rocket
~jwf~

I've Stopped, alright? I've stopped.

This week's featured entry is brought to you by
U187783

because we believe that ALIEN content is the best content.

So if you'd like to have us criticise and belittle

your creative efforts, please click on the submissions button on our homepage

and post a link (the A-number) to your entry.
smiley - magic

The CAC Continuum Archive

In association with
UG

29.04.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A2573741

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more