A Conversation for American Teenage Stereotypes

Infinite stereotypes

Post 1

echomikeromeo

There are so many varieties of teenage stereotypes at my high school that one couldn't even begin to list them all. Certain major categories that I would like to address are: thespians, athletes/jocks, homosexuals (who, I say without prejudice, tend to stick together), intelligent yet non-nerdy kids -- sort of a cross between preppy and nerdy, and of course the band/orchestra kids. Instrumental music tends to meld together, so many of the hard-core orchestra kids will hang out and get along with the band kids. However, there are many different groups that combine various attributes and are extremely difficult to categorise.

One thing I appreciated was the "sensitive" portrayal of goths here. I've had the opportunity to get to know many goths, and I find that, despite appearing morbid and depressed externally, it is often largely a facade. They are usually extremely intelligent and of a liberal political bent, and for some reason they think it's cool to pretend to be suicidal. Often they really haven't any real tendency towards this, and when with fellow goths they can get quite silly and hyper. I know one goth who's obsessed with the colour orange and giggles constantly.

Also, if I may address the nerds: nerds are not just limited to the computer-geeky type. I know nerds (and may count myself among their number) who are obsessed with politics, literature, and other humanities-related fields. Nerds rarely seem to listen to classical music on a regular basis, unless they happen to be musicians as well. Everyone assumes that I listen to classical music, but I only do so when I have to (I play violin, so that happens regularly). I prefer folk and traditional music, often of the bawdier sortsmiley - smiley.

So, I'll stop now. Hope this expands a bit.


Infinite stereotypes

Post 2

belladonna_eyes

Goths do not pretend to be suicidal.

It is often the interpretation of outsiders that just because they are not smiling, they must be depressed. In reality, goths are just as happy as anybody else. I wouldn't be surprised if your average goth is actually happier than your average prep/townie, because there is no peer pressure to pretend to be happy, creating a two-faced shell of a person.


Infinite stereotypes

Post 3

DancinBean

Funny how that works. You know, in America kids who aren't constantly on top of the world end up medicated to the gills. If they are happy, they get medicated to the gills.
Wait a moment. I just realized how screwed up this country really is.
Look in every school and you'll see a pot of "popular" people, mostly girls, who are forcing themselves to be a part of something they can't handle. A lot of girls are so far repressed by that lovely thing called peer pressure that they have no feelings or thoughts of their own. Am wondering if belladonna_eyes ever read "The Disappearing Girl."


Infinite stereotypes

Post 4

albinoghost

echomikeromeo, The reason why they called are stereotypes is because its the view that the outside world interprets from actions,moods,etc. and throws out saying thats what you are. That doesn't mean a certain group is limited to doing certain things or actions.


Infinite stereotypes

Post 5

echomikeromeo

Good god, I wrote that a long time ago! Disregard anything I said. I was fourteen years old.smiley - biggrin


Infinite stereotypes

Post 6

Bright-Tigress

Actually, you were right on a lot of points. Of course, I'm sure I'll do the same thing as you just did.

But yes, america has infinite stereotypes, and most of them can be divided into over a billion other categories.
Basically, it's miserable. Utterly miserable.smiley - wah


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more