American Teenage Stereotypes Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

American Teenage Stereotypes

33 Conversations

If you walk into any American high school, you are likely to be confronted by a plethora of clothes, smells, and attitudes.. or, in other words, cliques. The following is a guide to the stereotypes of these cliques as portayed in films, on television and in the media.

The 'Preps'

  • Music - Anything played on the secular radio stations and MTV.

  • Clothes - Mini-versions of what adults wear, but the skirts are shorter on the girls and the pants baggier on the guys.

  • Attitude - A very definite 'I'm better than you, no matter what' vibe comes across when talking to these college-headed teens. They tend to be intelligent1 and they always look like they are going to a movie premiere in Los Angeles.

  • Hang-outs - Class lounges, gym and locker areas.

The 'Goths'

  • Music - Generally hard-core or techno, with some punk mixed in there. Favourite bands are Bauhaus, Dead Can Dance, The Sisters of Mercy, Nine Inch Nails etc.

  • Clothes - Uniformly black, lots of silver jewellery, big boots.

  • Attitude - Morbid, tending to the over-romantic, and extremely intelligent, completely against the stereotype.

  • Hang-outs - Some out-of-the-way classroom where they can speak without being heard.

Skaters

  • Music - Anything that the 'Preps' are listening to, but none of the boy-bands or Divas.

  • Clothes - Baggy, sagging pants, t-shirts with logos and big shoes.

  • Attitude - Cocky but not generally very intelligent. All are convinced that Skaters will someday, or quite possibly already are, ruling the world. Extremely respectful of women. This clique tends to mesh a lot with the 'Preps'.

  • Hang-outs - In front of the building where they can hacky-sack and ditch easily.

Freaks

  • Music - Punk, Hard core, some metal.

  • Clothes - Extremely bright and flashy, generally baggy pants and tight shirts, big shoes.

  • Attitude - Easily the most accepting of all the cliques, but if you get on their bad side, watch out. They run in groups and can be very dangerous.

  • Hang-outs - Cafeteria, where they can be part of the action.

1Or think that they are.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A256637

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more