A Conversation for The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Hypocrisy

Post 1

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

"These rights and freedoms may in no case be exercised contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations."

So in other words, this stuff applies to everybody unless the United Nations doesn't like it. With that in mind, I guess they don't really sound like rights at all.


Hypocrisy

Post 2

njan (afh)

Hypocracy, actually.

Just thought you might like to know.


Hypocrisy

Post 3

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

I spell checked the message, but not the title. Oh well...


Hypocrisy

Post 4

njan (afh)

*smiles*


Hypocrisy

Post 5

Petebot

It may not be perfect, but when someone is sticking a gun in your face for having a funny noise (EG in Russia, Iran, some parts of China), thats all your got to guarntee your a human being


Hypocrisy

Post 6

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

If it's the UN who thinks you have a funny nose, then they're within their rights to do whatever they want according to this document. If we were really dealing with rights, then the document would limit the powers of the United Nations as the US Constitution limits the powers of our government.

Besides, does the UN really have the power to enforce those rights? Does this document have the force of law? It's really just a feel good measure.


Hypocrisy

Post 7

Spiff

Er, no, actually, 'hypocrisy' is the correct spelling. Where did you find 'hypocracy'?

'Hippocratic' exists, and is an adjective meaning "like or pertaining to Hippocrates", an ancient Greek doctor (thus the modern 'hippocratic oath', a document signed by doctors).


Hypocrisy

Post 8

Charityplayer





WOT A FUNNY COINCIDENCE



HYPOCRACY


THE HYPOCRACY OF DEMOCRACY
SAID THE KIND OLD SAGE,
IS THE HYPOCRISY OF THE TIMES,
THE HYPOCRACY OF THE AGE

THE HYPOCRITIC HYPOCRAT
THE HYPOCRATIC DIPLOMAT,
THE DIRTY OLD DORMAT,
THE DIRTY DEAD RAT
ITS' ALL THE RAGE,
ITS'
THE HYPOCRACY OF THE AGE







smiley - dragon


Hypocrisy

Post 9

Doc U

So hypocracy would mean "rule by hypocrites," much like democracy is rule by the people, aristocracy is rule by the elite, etc.

You could've just said that.


Hypocrisy

Post 10

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

That sounds like it fits the UN very well.

smiley - handcuffs


Hypocrisy

Post 11

lord_tricycle

Hypocrisy, by the way.

When the rights are viewed as being subject to the whims of the UN, what needs to be understood is that the UN in no way shape or form assumes the role of an over-arching world government. Thus the UN actually refers only to the wishes of member nations and not of any supreme Leviathan. Thus, in effect, the UN is synonymous with the international community of sovereign and independent states, with the absolute nature of sovereignty being the key aspect of the UN Charter.

Thus, there is no hypocrisy.


Hypocrisy

Post 12

lord_tricycle

The UN, since it's not any sort of 'world government' only has power and influence bestowed upon it by the continuing collaboration between independent states.


Key: Complain about this post