A Conversation for Dungeons and Dragons - the Game

Hey!

Post 1

Twenty-First Century Schizoid Man

Hey! The way you describe Dungeons and Dragons makes everyone who play seem like friendless, dorky, sociopaths. I take offense. I've played the dungeonmaster before, and I can tell you, nobody in the group was sociopathic in the least. I resent that. And I'm sure the other members of the group would had they read this. Please don't stereotype. It's mean, wrong, and makes people mad.


Hey!

Post 2

Twenty-First Century Schizoid Man

Okay, I searched, and some people take the game quite seriously. But you mustn't assume that everyone who plays and likes those games is like that. I play it very seldom, but when I do, I enjoy it. Don't think that everyone who plays is the cultist-sociopath type.


Hey!

Post 3

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

This piece is written in a tongue-in-cheek manner. After all, who could possibly write this piece without having been one of the nerds who played it? The DM as a sociopath is also tongue-in-cheek... his job is to challenge the players, but sometimes he would get annoyed at the players, and decide he needed to kill them. I had more than one DM who felt like that at one time or another. They got real annoyed at me when I guided the party through an elaborate escape, too. smiley - tongueout

Try not to take this thing so seriously. I found D&D to be a lot of fun, and I laughed at what I was doing when I played it. Now that I'm not playing, I'm still laughing.


Hey!

Post 4

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

Yah, us sociopaths don't much care to be lumped in with gamers.


Hey!

Post 5

ex-Rambling. Thingite. Dog. Pythonist. Deceased.

You forgot to mention the god complex that many of the socio..er, um,...dungeon masters became afflicted with. Our group sat down and compiled a list of the characteristics of the Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master...
For instance...

Chortles gleefully when introducing 74 hit-die monsters into small, wizard-locked rooms.
Walks around saying 'Mwaa-haa-haa!" a lot.
Serves beer and coke to gamers, and then reminds them that the toilet is out of comission.
Goes into a profound depression when he/she fails to kill off at least 2 player characters per game. Must be comforted.
Has a little rubber stamp of the main classes, so that he can keep score of his kills.(Alternately, just carves notches on his die}

I can't remember the rest of it. We should have written it down, along with the guide to the care and feeding of the chaotic evil dungeon master.


Hey!

Post 6

Twenty-First Century Schizoid Man

LOL!


Hey!

Post 7

Queenleaf

Aurgh! Don't be so touchy! I like people like that! I haven't played DnD yet but I love Mou which is with cards and the more freakish and mean and Dungeon master ish your Mou is, the more fun it is!


Key: Complain about this post