A Conversation for Modern Popular Songwriting

Bad ass music

Post 1

dreymers

Why the trend in 90's rock to sound so tough and mean ? Is this a trend, or does it reflect social issues ? Or maybe its a result of better equipment being capable of producing bad ass sounds. I wonder if these song writers are that mean and bitter normally, like when they're eating dinner or watching TV.


Bad ass music

Post 2

Tom I.

Quite a few of the happy song-singers have discreetly been drug addicts, alcoholics, wife-beaters, rapists or pedofiles. So maybe the "bad ass" artist are incognito dressing in pink, spending all their spare time in fields to sniff the flowers (not the orchids) and watching videotaped Julie Andrews-performances, such as "The sound of music".


Bad ass music

Post 3

Gnarly (I have a pair)

Substitute the ref. to the 90's with the 50's and I'm sure I read something similar back then -every generation has to get a little meaner than their mums & dads.


Bad ass music

Post 4

FairlyStrange

This is true......and if you'll think about it, what was considered "vulgar" in the last generation's music, is now praised as "classic".

Each generation strives to create it's own sound.....and "shock" is the easiest(and most profitable) route.

NM


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more