A Conversation for The Goon Show
Cheerful Dragon Started conversation Nov 19, 1999
There is one Goon Show phrase that Richard (my husband) and I use whenever one of us suggests something impossible or ridiculous: "I'd like to see them do this on television." This comes from an episode (can't remember which) where Milligan says to Secombe (or vice versa): "You stand on my shoulders and pull me up, then I'll stand on your shoulders and pull you up ...". (They are trying to get out of a dungeon, prison or deep hole.)
Rich Loony Posted Jun 3, 2000
"Hern!" (American characters)
"Hello Jim!" ("Singing" Jim Spriggs)
and of course... "Shut up Eccles" (everyone)
Rich Loony Posted Jun 9, 2000
"Great Lolloping Nurglers!" (sometimes heard from Bloodnock instead of swearing)
James Casey Posted Jun 19, 2000
And what about Thynne's
You silly, twisted boy, you.
Rich Loony Posted Jun 24, 2000
And that funny noise that Moriaty makes, sort of "look-a-la-goom" or something like that.
Has anypone mentioned "Hello Jim" yet?
McSquizzy Posted Jul 7, 2000
And don't forget Henry Crun's "Y'can't get the wood y'know!" plus a few of Bloodnok's' such as: "Oooh! - It must be HELL in there!" - "What must the neighbours think !!" and "Nurse, quick - the screens - it's happened again!!". I think they were all caused by the curried gunpowder of which he was fond!!
The Traveller Posted Jul 23, 2000
"I've got it written down on a piece of paper here. Oh, yes..."
Gonzo the Eggman Posted Jul 27, 2000
Hello folks! Hello folks! I speaking to you via my new roast beef speaking trumpet!
Perhaps I can help you out there. There is a part in "The Histories of Pliny the Elder" where Seagoon, Eccles and Bluebottle tyring to reach a manhole cover...
Seagoon: Right! Eccles, stand on my shoulders and pull me up!
Eccles: I'd like to see them do this on television.
There is also a similar scene in "The Affair of the Lone Banana". Again, Neddie and Eccles are trapped in a prison. Neddie asks whether there is any way out, in which Eccles says "Well, you could try that window up there".
What follows is a frantic scene where Neddie and Eccles are stacking the furniture on top of each other in an attempt to reach the window. In the meantime, Aldofus Spriggs entertains us with a song. Back in the prison, Neddie and Eccles are almost finished. Then suddenly there is an almighty crash as everything collapses. Adolfus Spriggs starts singing again!
Gonzo the Eggman Posted Jul 28, 2000
"Is your name Charlie?" - Gryte-pipe Thyne
"Sosinges!" - Bluebottle
"Ooooh, mate!" - Wllium "Mate" Cobblers
I'm surprised no one's mentioned "This is the BBC..." (or have they?!)
Gandalf ( Got my own Comp Now!! Still Redundant!! ) Posted Aug 5, 2000
Have we all forgotten the one where Secombe produces a large raspberry, and Bloodnok says 'No more curried eggs for me!!'
philbo baggins Posted Aug 9, 2000
Gandalf ( Got my own Comp Now!! Still Redundant!! ) Posted Aug 12, 2000
Henry Crun - we're doing nearly five miles an hour, Min!
also - The wick in the engine has gone out!
It's insane, Hennery! Man cannot live at such speeds!
Gonzo the Eggman Posted Oct 5, 2000
Hi diddle dee, needle nardle noo, spling splang splong, ying tong iddle i po, and remember - you gotta go owww!
- This is actually a genuine Harry Secombe line.
- Object off the port beam!
- Here, what is that object off the port beam?
- It looks like the Albert Hall!
- What's the Albert Hall doing in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean?
- More to the point, what are we doing in Hyde Park? You idiot, Eccles, we're four thousan miles off course!
- Nobody's perfect.
(and this is where the story really starts..)
dasilva Posted Oct 5, 2000
(Again from Eccles, on lookout) "Mine ahead! Dirty great mine ahead! Oh...it's alright, it's one of our...*KABLOOM*"
Seagoon: You'll never get it, I tell you! It's guarded!
Thynne: Guarded, eh? Bring weapons and ammunition.
Seagoon: Yes, it's guarded by the fearless Major Bloodnok!
Thynne: Bloodnok, eh? Bring money.....
dasilva Posted Oct 5, 2000
(From 1985) Bluebottle: Enter torturer Bluebottle, with Junior Cardboard Cut Out Torture Kit
Key: Complain about this post
- 1: Cheerful Dragon (Nov 19, 1999)
- 2: Fatlock (Dec 4, 1999)
- 3: Rich Loony (Jun 3, 2000)
- 4: Pea (Jun 8, 2000)
- 5: Rich Loony (Jun 9, 2000)
- 6: James Casey (Jun 19, 2000)
- 7: Rich Loony (Jun 24, 2000)
- 8: McSquizzy (Jul 7, 2000)
- 9: The Traveller (Jul 23, 2000)
- 10: Gonzo the Eggman (Jul 27, 2000)
- 11: Gonzo the Eggman (Jul 28, 2000)
- 12: Gandalf ( Got my own Comp Now!! Still Redundant!! ) (Aug 5, 2000)
- 13: philbo baggins (Aug 9, 2000)
- 14: Gandalf ( Got my own Comp Now!! Still Redundant!! ) (Aug 12, 2000)
- 15: Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence (Sep 7, 2000)
- 16: Gonzo the Eggman (Oct 5, 2000)
- 17: Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence (Oct 5, 2000)
- 18: dasilva (Oct 5, 2000)
- 19: Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence (Oct 5, 2000)
- 20: dasilva (Oct 5, 2000)