A Conversation for Dating

Getting a date

Post 1

Chris

You imply that getting a date is easy and it all just happened, you forgot to mention the millions of sad, sinle people (like myself) who have so far failed to do so and maybe never will!


Getting a date

Post 2

Shorty

I agree, getting a date is bloody hard work, although I have recentley suceeded in getting myself a steady date but before that I was single for well over a year, most of which was spent getting rejected from all angles smiley - sadface We must be gluttons for punishment though cos we keep going back for more smiley - smiley


Getting a date

Post 3

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

I think you fall into the category "Struggling to get a date", which is covered in the original writeup.

Still, H2G2 seems to lump dating into the same sort of negative category as the Chinese subjugation of Tibet. Not that they're wrong...


Getting a date

Post 4

Jim diGriz

There are many books available on the subject; most of them are complete garbage.

One that I can recommend (not just for 'dating', but life in general) is "Intimate Connections" by David Burns (available from amazon.com).

He writes lots of books about Cognitive Therapy (getting rid of depression without drugs).

He has lots of useful advice and exercises for getting your attitude sorted out in the first place.

Seeya, jd


Getting a date

Post 5

Fruitbat (Eric the)

This column reminded me of an opinion-piece I put up called "Datum, Data, Dating", and which should be findable somewhere in the labyrinth of H2G2's memory banks. That one says everything I can think of on the topic, so please read it and then post something in reply.

Fruitbat


Getting a date

Post 6

Researcher 128474

I would say that dating is pretty simple. What I do if I feel like I need to date somebody ist writing my cell phone number of one of those fancy free cards you can get here in Germany and hand it to the waiter to give the card to my "object of desire" (can you say that in English??). The only problem is that if you toss to many of those cards you never know who's on the phone..... it works pretty well.


Getting a date

Post 7

Jim diGriz

You could buy lots of cell phones, and use a different number for each person. Write a label on each phone for whoever you've given the number to, then you'll know who it is when it rings! smiley - smiley

Anyway, I ain't ever been on a 'date', so what do I know? smiley - smiley

jd


Getting a date

Post 8

Secret Agent (Pantomime horse is a)

Since this is an internet-site, it seems only obvious to mention internet dating sites. Although it may seem sad and desperate at first to use one of these, it can actually be a lot of fun to go out on a date with a total stranger. I've done this twice now and although none of these events have actually resulted in actual sex or love, both have been a lot of fun.


Getting a date

Post 9

SDR

Well,
Don't know what to say. The problem is not: "Can I made my self try set up a date?", the answer here is YES the problem is "Do I want to go dating" the answer here is not so simple. The defaultanswer to unsiple asnwers is NO.


Getting a date

Post 10

capn_midnight

HA! A Year! HA!!!
Going on 4 years here.
It is VERY hard. The general reason appears to be that the good, interesting people have found other good, interesting people already. Of course, this leaves a very rare group of good, interesting people who are an iota late entering the dating world, leaving them alone, especially in small circles.


Getting a date

Post 11

brady_kj

Posted By: capn_midnight
"HA! A Year! HA!!!
Going on 4 years here.
It is VERY hard. The general reason appears to be that the good, interesting people have found other good, interesting people already. Of course, this leaves a very rare group of good, interesting people who are an iota late entering the dating world, leaving them alone, especially in small circles."


Bah! You're forgetting about the difficult situation of us ungood, uninteresting people! I've been without a date, starting at the beginning of the universe until I was over 19 and a half years old! Then one day an ungood, uninteresting girl asked me out and we dated for a few months until she dumped me, and now I've gone another 6 months or so without getting a date.


Getting a date

Post 12

Lurch77

Ha to you all, I have spent my entire existance searching for someone, which acording to popular belief is why I havent found them. If it were easy it would not turn out to be worth the effort! I still have hope that this will sort itself out. I expect to get blindsided on some random night when I am completely concentrated on something else. Much like learning to fly, its not about jumping just about forgeting to hit the ground!


Getting a date

Post 13

veryhotchick

god i agree its such a waste of time searching but why are we atill searching then?smiley - smileysmiley - ermsmiley - sadfacesmiley - wahsmiley - cakesmiley - bubbly


Key: Complain about this post