A Conversation for Mr Potato Head

The Modern Potato

Post 1

Mustapha

I see that while they've got Mr Potato Head talking, they've taken away his pipe!


The Modern Potato

Post 2

Slug

Damn. He probably has clip-on cargo pants instead.

Actually, I was given a new Mr Potato Head last year for a "funny" birthday present (no Andre, it wasn't). The biggest difference I noticed was that he now has a handy rear opening in which you can store all the extra bits. So I suppose the ensuing bottom-jokes made the present funnier for 5 more minutes than it would have been otherwise.


The Modern Potato

Post 3

Mustapha

What does he do for a living, smuggle drugs in carefully secreted condoms?

Well, I guess it was inevitable. Guest-starring on 3rd Rock from the Sun, the pressures of stardom must have taken its toll...


The Modern Potato

Post 4

DelphicOracle

Well, he obviously thought he had a promising career ahead of him after Toy Story, but it seems the parts dried up after that.

Maybe a few months in rehab will let him reconstitute his career...


The Modern Potato

Post 5

Bluebottle

True, true. I mean, you hear of stars when they go through a bad patch tearing their hair out or something, but Mr Potatoe can tear his hair, eyes, nose, ears and who knows what else out, so I guess that explains his lack of roles - too many temper-tantrums.


The Modern Potato

Post 6

Slug

It's worse than you all think; in desperation Mr Potato Head has turned to the seedy underword of porn films to support himself.

You can see him now in "Hot Spuds 4".


The Modern Potato

Post 7

Frizzychick

Yeah, but I heard he used a tuber-double.


The Modern Potato

Post 8

Dudemeister

I thought Mr. Potato head was a collection of stuff you stuck on real potatoes. I never had one, but my friends did - maybe they lost he plastic head, or in England we used organic heads - Anyway I am not going to persue a conversation line about granting crania to Mr. PH. Anyway we grabbed spuds and dressed them up. Plastic heads?


The Modern Potato

Post 9

Frizzychick

Very strange images going on there. You dressed up .. like.. real potatoes? I suppose it's a lot more flexible than Mr Potato Head Plastic Variety as the holes for eyes, mouth etc. can be absolutely anywhere. And environmentally friendly. Get bored, chips all round.


The Modern Potato

Post 10

Dudemeister

That's right. And you can chop the thing in half and carve it into a nice stamp to print things with.


The Modern Potato

Post 11

DelphicOracle

As it happens, I owned an odd version of this same product - I had Mr Egghead. It was a big white plastic eggshape with holes. But on the box it suggested you could stick the features into a real potato, carrot or turnip and expand the range of possible fun. It didn't point out that you shouldn't try sticking them into a real egg, though...


The Modern Potato

Post 12

Bluebottle

Do you mean to say you DID stick them in a real egg????


The Modern Potato

Post 13

DelphicOracle

Well, I did want to, but unfortunately my mum wouldn't let me try it...


The Modern Potato

Post 14

Bluebottle

A neglected childhood... Your tale has hit me here. smiley - sadface
If you ever want to talk about it, then you can always find me in the pub! (F&F)


The Modern Potato

Post 15

Mustapha

"Mr Egghead" sounds like the perfect drunken past-time!


The Modern Potato

Post 16

DelphicOracle

Oooh, don't get me started. My mum never let me have a Mr Frosty either. What did she mean, waste of money... mutter... mumble... whinge...


The Modern Potato

Post 17

Bluebottle

Well, come over to the Forum & Firkin, and I'll buy you a drink, and you can tell us all about it...(A187508)


The Modern Potato

Post 18

La Tosca

The original Mr. Potato Head sets did use with real spuds. I guess by the time the 70's rolled around moms were just sick and tired of finding rotted and/or sprouted potatoes in the bottom of toys boxes and closets, so they started manufacturing plastic potato head parts.


The Modern Potato

Post 19

Dudemeister

I played with these in the 60s so my memory serves me correctly. I also had a pet half spud I sprouted then lost in the toy basket for about a year. I then rehydrated it - and magically it sprouted again!


The Ancient Potato

Post 20

Kangus

Back in the day, maybe a couple decades ago, Mr Potato Head was in fact a collection of accesories you could jab into the potato of your choice. This was before the time of political corrrectness and thus before the removal of the pipe. I really doubt political correctness has anything to do with the potato though. Maybe the company figured a little kid jamming or trying to jam a mishapen plastic shell supposedly resembling a potato into his or her mouth was infinitely less harmful than a real potato.....


Key: Complain about this post